How do I tell my boss I got a second job?

So I am 17 and just got a job at Pizza Hut and I start Thursday. However, I volunteer at Goodwill and someone quit and they want me to take his job. Which Is Weekends (13hrs). I would love to work for goodwill becuase I know everone there and everyone is nice. However, I know I cant just go to Pizza Hut and say btw I cant work weekends now. On my application I said I was free on weekends and I know they will want me to work then. So which job should I take and how do I ask my Pizza Hut employer to let me take weekends off for another job? Is that rude? Once school starts I only want to work a few hours so goodwill would be perfect but i dont want to quit pizza hut /; First Job. Thanks for help!

Favorite Answer

You have every right to say your circumstance has changed and now you can offer a certain amount of hours, you are an adult in a work environment and if your employer cannot accommodate your new available hours then that is that! There is no need for anyone concerned to be offended by your path in life! They have an obligation to work with around you just as you do them, it is too often teenagers feel they 'owe' something to their employer. Be respectful and confident. Good luck.

you just tell your manager that the job at goodwill has become an actual paying position, and that you will be working there on weekends ; your manager will either agree and adjust your schedule ( especially if you have been an excellent employee ) or he/she will say that they can't accommodate you

• Ken

if you really want to work at G.W., give P.H. two weeks' notice of your inability to continue working weekends. It's the right thing to do and shows you respect their scheduling. That should keep the door open should you want to stay on for weekdays.