How would a Canadian citizen residing in Ontario go about moving to New York?

Approximately for a year or two (temporarily). What are the differences in order to reside permanently in the U.S?


I do not have any bad intentions, I just want the opportunity to travel and discover New York and the surrounding areas. I was hoping to rent an apartment and save enough money to be able to pay rent without a job in the US. However that goal will be extremely difficult to meet, so obtaining a job might be more feasible. I will graduate my university with a degree in Criminal Justice.

2 Answers

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Pick a visa

    There are basically NINE ways that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

    (1) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.

    (2) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. scientific or medical training. A degree is normally a must. Or you have superior specialist skills with at least 12 years experience. (H visas)applications next received on 1st April 2015 for an Oct start

    (3) You have an Employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (2) above.(L visas)

    (4) You may get a Green card in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland, are not generally eligible unless you, your spouse or parents were born abroad or held a different citizenship.

    (5)You own or buy business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card)You must be a national of a qualifying Treaty countries. The business must have a minimum value of around $150k (more the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $350k would be a nearer minimum (E-2 visas)

    (6)You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US $1m in assets to bring with you. half of that in a few areas. And your background will be investigated to the hilt. (EB-5 visas)

    (7)You have a close relative (mother, father, brother, sister and no further) who is an US citizen who would sponsor you, approx time this take 2-12 years?

    (8.The R1 visa is available to foreign members of religious denominations, having bona fide non-profit religious organizations in the U.S., for entering the U.S. to carry on the activities of a minister or religious worker as a profession, occupation or vocation

    (9)THE UNUSUAL You are in a position to claim refugee status/political asylum. or You get a member of Congress to sponsor a private bill with legislation that applies just to you.

    The S visa issued to persons who assist US law enforcement to investigate and prosecute crimes and terrorist activities such as money laundering and organized crime

    Recruitment agent will not take you seriously if you are not already in the US. Writing for jobs is really a waste of time; likewise US employers have no idea what foreign qualification are or mean (except Degrees) it may pay you to get your qualification translated into a US equivalent, there are Companies that do this ( ..

    But if you are getting a visa under (2) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. Your Employer will be your sponsor this will cost them upward of $5k. So you can see you have to be offering something really special to get considered They may also have to prove to the Dept of labor that there is no American who can do the job if the position is to be permanent ©



  • 5 years ago

    Very simple - you don't. Canadians have the privilege of visa-free entry for up to 180 days in any 365-day period, solely for tourism. You cannot work, look for work, etc. If you want to go to school, you must be accepted by a university & obtain your I-20 form from the school. You cannot work as a foreign student. There are no Working Holiday Visas for the US.

    So how did you think you could come to US for a year or two? What are you intending to do to remain in the US that long?

    Permanently? Then you need a qualified sponsor to petition for your immigration visa. Some 90% of immigrants to US are sponsored by their immediate blood relative who is a US citizen & who earns enough to meet support requirements. Waits for a visa are up to 13 years, depending on your relationship to your sponsor. For some countries, it takes as long as 25 years to get an immigration visa, if it is approved.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.