I m about to take apart my plastic laptop. Will touching the metal cover of my unplugged PC beside it ground me and prevent any ESD damage?

Hello. I m about to take apart my computer to clean the fan. It s a plastic Acer laptop. Will touching the metal cover of my unplugged PC beside it ground me and prevent any ESD damage? Everything that I m working on is resting on a wood desk (including the unplugged PC that I may use to ground myself) Thanks!

Favorite Answer

I've worked on computers for almost 30 years and never have I fried anything due to ESD. Yes, to be safe, just discharge yourself on anything metal (anything that would give you a spark/shock if you had a natural build up of static electricity...door knob...anything metal). Unless you're scuffing your way across carpet I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• Zaid5 years agoReport

Thank you very much. I'll begin working on it today. I'm curious to know how touching my unplugged PC beside it that's resting on a wooden table will discharge any buildup. Will it? I understand the doorknob will help, so I'll stick with that for now :)