Please help! What causes depression and how can I prevent it?
I Don't wanna go see professionals to cure it and want to just deal with it in a very healthy way. some activities or maybe just eating healthy food. Can you make suggestions please. Thanks.
- 5 years agoFavorite Answer
The reality is that your diet may be working against you and making things even worse. The good news is that there are certain foods that you can eat in order to combat the negative effects that cause all of the sadness. Some of the staples that you can add to your diet include wholesome choices such as: Fish, fruits, nuts, and vegetables. This article will look at some of the benefits that you can gain by adding these nutritious groceries to your daily dinner plate.
Five Foods To Fight Depression:
1. Fish: Scientific studies indicate that people who don’t get enough Omega 3’s tend to experience major bouts of despair. Omega-3 Fatty Acids are contained in various types of fatty fish such as salmon, tuna, mackerel, and sardines.(1) It is important to be sure to avoid the “farmed salmon” if possible because it can decrease your Omega 3 content by up to 50% when compared to wild salmon. In addition, many farmed salmon are being fed foods such as soy and corn that have been genetically modified and are not good for your body.(2)
2. Walnuts: Nuts are another rich source of Omega 3’s, and numerous studies have shown that walnuts drastically reduce the symptoms of unhappiness. In fact, the large increase of psychiatric problems in the western world could very well be attributed to the decrease of Omega-3 Fatty Acids in the average diet, according to a study that was published in the British Journal of Psychiatry.
3. Dark Leafy Greens: Severe forms of sadness have been linked with inflammation in the brain based on a study published in JAMA Psychiatry. However, there is still good news for people who are wondering how to fight the depression, and it “stems” from dark leafy greens. These leafy vegetables help fight against all kinds of inflammation and even help the body to fight against cancer cells. They are also power packed with Vitamins K, E, C, and A, phytochemicals, and minerals.
4. Berries: A study published in the Journal of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine revealed that patients who were given antioxidants had fewer melancholy characteristics. This is great news for those who continually fight against a case of the doldrums. Blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries contain some of the highest antioxidants available.(3)
5. Tomatoes: Approximately 1/3 of patients who are unhappy have a folate deficiency based on research in the Journal of Psychiatry and Neuroscience. Foods such as tomatoes contain folic acid, which allows vital neurotransmitters for the brain such as norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin to form in the body.(4)
Although we all have times when we feel downhearted, there are things that can be done to break out of the rut. If you will decide to eat foods that fight depression on a regular basis, then you will be healthier, feel better, and have more mental clarity to tackle whatever happens to you throughout the day.
- 5 years ago
Depression has a lot of causes. Genetic predisposition, environmental factors, or brain abnormalities. You can't prevent it, it just happens. You can try to help yourself by exercising and keeping busy and eating well, but you may not be able to get rid of it completely, depending on severity. Contrary to what the last poorly informed individual said about solving all of your problems, that still isn't guarenteed to cure you. I have clinical depression, so the thing that will cure me will be medication. It isn't always dependant upon your lifestyle
- Anonymous5 years ago
By solving all of your problems. 100% NO depression guarantee.