Natsumi asked in HealthMental Health · 5 years ago

My crush saw my self harm scars?

Ok so I'm recovering from self harm and I hadn't cut for probably 8 months but yesterday I had a really dramatic day and I relapsed (which is normal for recovery). And today at lunch I didn't realize that my sleeve had slipped up. While our other friends were talking among themselves he quietly pointed it and asked "what is that?" This guy might have a crush on me, I'm friends with his sister and she told me he likes me but I'm not sure. Anyways I got scared and pulled my hand under the table and used the stupid, "it was my cat." Excuse. It seemed like he believed it but should I pull him aside and tell him?

• h

I would probably be honest with him, totally honest. Tell him you're about to tell him something that may be shocking, but that you like him and you want to at least be friends so you want to be honest. Tell him you are recovering from self harm and that you made a mistake recently and that's what he saw. Then say, "Actually I have a crush on you, but after knowing this, I understand if you're not sure about me. Please let me know what you think when you've had a chance to think about it. I value your opinion."

Then do whatever you need to do to calm down, because saying all that will definitely set off whatever stressors you have. However this turns out, you will know you were honest and that you gave him a free chance to respond to you. You sound very mature for someone who has this problem, you will beat it, I'm sure.

If you have the same feelings for this guy, you should open up to him, only if you feel comfortable about it and can trust him. No one likes it when they have rumors against them, and you wouldn't like it at all, so that's why I am advising you to take precautions as you open up to someone. Tell him what you've been through, and if he listens to you, then that's a good sign that he's a keeper! Lol, but seriously though, both of you can express your darkest secrets together if you want to be with each other.

He doesn't need to know. Wait until you've known him for a while because sometimes, even if it does seem harsh, people will be thrown off about it. Give it time.

if you expect to have any sort of a future with him you should tell him in secret the complete truth so if you do have a future together it will hopefully last as it wont be based on lies

This is expected if you self-harm. If you don't like it, don't self-harm.

Cheers and be well.