Giving notice before next job is solid.?

I have been offered a permanent position with a government agency. My current position, is a 90-day casual contract. This is not a binding contract.

The position I have been offered, they have already done the security clearance and are having their HR people draft the Letter of Offer. The problem is they want my start date to be August 31.

Although I do not have a problem with only giving a weeks notice, should I give my notice today, without having received the letter yet, or wait until possibly Monday when I will most likely have it?

A further issue is my current position is planning to train my other roles next week and I would like to inform them today, so that they are aware they will not need to make any plans to train me as I will be leaving.

Favorite Answer

Wait for the letter. Give as much notice as you can. It's the government we're talking about. Anything could happen.

• Louis

Wait until you have the job for sure. Once you leave your old company there's nothing they can do

• Mark

Always wait until you have the letter in hand. Don't worry about the training.