The Pope's Astronomer. Is it a great thing that he won the Carl Sagan medal for promoting Science? As a Jesuit Priest?

Father Guy Consolmagno of the Vatican Observatory of Science won the Carl Sagan Medal for his "outstanding" communication on Planetary Science. To some people(New Atheists and Fundies alike) this might be a surprise. To actual informed people not so much.

Especially since the Vatican promotes Science. The Pontifical Academy of Sciences for instance has produced 50 Nobel Winners in Physics and Chemistry in the last 50 years and one of it's presidents was Father George Lemaitre, Catholic Priest who discovered the Big Bang Theory. This is consistent with what Pope John Paul II taught in his Encyclical "Fides et Ratio" about Faith and Reason being like two wings on a bird.

Also consistent with what the Medieval Scholastics taught about "Faith seeking understanding"(Anselm) which helped give birth to the Universities in the West and the Scientific Method.

Link:

http://vaticanobservatory.org/vo-news/recent-news/...

http://www.casinapioiv.va/content/accademia/en.htm...

@Maurog VI.....I thought Atheists loved Science? Guess not

Favorite Answer

Yes, it is a great thing. There's much that the "New Atheists" don't understand. You pointed out a few. The very concept of God is another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak-riGdz-UM

Youtube thumbnail

Father Barron says to New Atheists, "What you deny, I deny also." They see God as a supernatural being. They don't always understand what it is we believe in.

--- Personally, I don't credit "communicating" science as something "great." I don't care if it's Father Consolmagno, the Pope himself, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, or Bill Nye.

The only thing that surprises me is that the religious didn't freak out when they discovered that the medal for excellence in this field is (deservedly) named in honor of an atheist.

A minor surprise is that you seem to be implying that a priest winning an award in scientific education somehow validates all Catholic theology.....I assume you don't believe that Newton's physics (a far, far greater accomplishment than Father Consolmagno's) validates the alchemy that Newton also believed in.

Right?

• Ray

Carl Sagan was not only an astronomer, but an avowed atheist. So, the pope's man wins a medal from an atheist? I'm surprised he accepted it. I have grave suspicions as to why the Catholics invested huge sums of money in a binocular telescope named Lucifer?!

• It's merely a political move to try and fool everyone into thinking that religion is compatible with science.

In practice no doubt you can be religious and be a good scientist, but the point is that the methods of science are incompatible with the methods of faith and the Vatican like most Christians are trying to hide this.

The Vatican astronomer proposed the Big Bang.

• gillie

Apparently he deserved it, and if that's the case, should get the award.

I think you have the wrong idea about atheists.

Completely unsurprising.

No, of course not.

So what?

What do you want, a cookie?