Which of these English books is actually good?

Hello all. For my English course we have to choose an English novel to do assignments on. These are the options below. I'm just wondering, are any of these books actually interesting and not stupid? Because most English books I've read are completely messed up yet they are full of "great literature"...

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

A Separate Peace by John Knowles

Demian by Hermann Hesse

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

The Other Normals by Ned Vizzini

Fifth Business by Robertson Davies

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

What Maisie Knew by Henry James

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Personally I loved Never Let Me Go, but I don't think it'd be up your alley if you're generally not interested in reading. The Fault in Our Stars is more geared towards teen readers, and has a lot of humor in it, which helps for people who don't like reading much. I'd recommend that one.

Gosh, I've read almost every single one of these books and i really didn't like them. For example The Fault In Our Stars- I had such high expectations for this book, but it turns out it was incredibly over rated and a huge disappointment. Thirteen Reasons Why- a good idea but the execution was not good at all. Whenever I want to check whether a book is up to my standards I go to this website called Goodreads, they have reviews on every book under the sun. Just type in the books name and then 'Goodreads', you don't have to make an account to see reviews (but you can if you like). Other than that i've heard Jane Eyre is good.

Hope I helped.

Source(s): Bookworm :)

Out of the list you've provided, I've read The Fault in Our Stars, Thirteen Reasons Why, If I Stay, and Jane Eyre, and I thoroughly enjoyed all of them for different reasons. Obviously that's just my opinion, and I can't actually say whether or not you'll enjoy them too.

Several of these novels aren't really considered "great literature". I obviously don't know your perspective on what's boring and not interesting, but if it corresponds to complexity and generally more "skilled" skilled literature then I'd recommend James Joyce or Kazuo Ishiguro.

Well, since you think books are too stupid for you to waste time on, why don't you just drop out of school and do something highly significant and intellectual with your life, like flip burgers at McD's for the next 60 years.

Jane eyre is amazing read from front to back in like 4 days. I couldnt put it down