Garage ceiling insulation?

I have a specific question for my garage ceiling insulation, because I was told that I can do garage walls insulation, but do NOT do its ceiling insulation, the reason is that when summer comes, garage is without ventilation, and heat going up would blow /damage my flat shingle roof, is that true? but I have a concern that if I do not do ceiling insulation, I would still feel cold when I work in my garage during winter, even I did the garage walls insulation. thank for your answer in advance.

When Dad built our garage, he did not put insulation in the top part. I'm not sure why. I now have a heater in the garage for those cold winter days and nights.

• bob

In Canada, most garages have insulation in the roof. "heat going up would blow /damage my flat shingle roof" I don't know what that means. How can you have a flat shingle roof? Shingle roofs need pitch, at least 4/12 pitch. I don't know how heat can blow up and damage a roof. Maybe spray foam would solve whatever problem it is that i can't understand?

• ?

Put adequate ventilation maybe in the form of a gable vent , or even make the in the eves where they are on your house

yes, you would feel colder in winter. all you need to do is put one vent in the gable ends there easy to stick in and cheap to purchase. that would keep enough ventilation keep the shingles cool enough so they wont curl.