Kicker asked in PetsFish · 5 years ago

how long do i have to wait for water in a 4 gallon bucket to evaporate all the chlorine out of the water?

I have a 55 gallon fish tank and I've always waited 24 hours for the water in a 4 gallon bucket to evaporate. but I heard you can wait 12 hours for it to evaporate then you can put the water into the tank?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Depends on your city's local water source and their disinfection style. There is something called chloramine that is used to disinfect city water because of its residence time in pipes. Plus, it's rather cheap but it is a chlorine and ammonia ratio that the city will use, thus you have chloramines, which are very toxic to fish and your biological bacteria. I'd recommend using a conditioner, but be warned these conditions often will have a byproduct, that being ammonia. The best thing you can do is invest in a RO/DI system, amazon has them cheap and I just bought one for my saltwater making system. It was only around 80 bucks and it does an amazing job. If that is too expensive just roll with the stress coat and deal with the ammonia byproduct if you have a good biofilter, make sure it eliminates free and total chlorine along with chloramines specifically. The conditioners typically break the chlorine-amine bond leaving amine and salts, thus amine forms into ammonia but better than toxic chlorines.

FYI: chloramines do not evaporate out and you cannot aerate them out. They have a long water life and typically can only be eliminated through chemical introduction or RODI filtration. Do NOT use STS as well (sodium thiosulfate), another version of a chlorine reducer, it causes white death in fish.

• Amber
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

You need conditioner. Many cities have switched over to chlorine mixes that won't evaporate.

Also: NEVER change the pH of your tank. That's just asking for trouble.

You should be changing more than 4 gallons at a time (I assume you are, but maybe you aren't...)

Just get conditioner and take the guesswork out.

• 5 years ago

the water in some areas has more than chlorine in it. Get a water conditioner like prime that works instantly, and has other benefits.

• 5 years ago

Depends

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

use an ion exchange resin to get all impurities and chlorine out of the water , most water filters use them to purify water

• 5 years ago

just get chemicals that neutralize the pH of the chlorine... youre going to need it anyways to keep your levels right

• 5 years ago

24 hours or just drop in some water conditioner and your good right away.

• Pamela
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Over night if left un capped.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.