Kicker asked in PetsFish · 5 years ago

how long do i have to wait for water in a 4 gallon bucket to evaporate all the chlorine out of the water?

I have a 55 gallon fish tank and I've always waited 24 hours for the water in a 4 gallon bucket to evaporate. but I heard you can wait 12 hours for it to evaporate then you can put the water into the tank?

Favorite Answer

Depends on your city's local water source and their disinfection style. There is something called chloramine that is used to disinfect city water because of its residence time in pipes. Plus, it's rather cheap but it is a chlorine and ammonia ratio that the city will use, thus you have chloramines, which are very toxic to fish and your biological bacteria. I'd recommend using a conditioner, but be warned these conditions often will have a byproduct, that being ammonia. The best thing you can do is invest in a RO/DI system, amazon has them cheap and I just bought one for my saltwater making system. It was only around 80 bucks and it does an amazing job. If that is too expensive just roll with the stress coat and deal with the ammonia byproduct if you have a good biofilter, make sure it eliminates free and total chlorine along with chloramines specifically. The conditioners typically break the chlorine-amine bond leaving amine and salts, thus amine forms into ammonia but better than toxic chlorines.

FYI: chloramines do not evaporate out and you cannot aerate them out. They have a long water life and typically can only be eliminated through chemical introduction or RODI filtration. Do NOT use STS as well (sodium thiosulfate), another version of a chlorine reducer, it causes white death in fish.

• Amber

You need conditioner. Many cities have switched over to chlorine mixes that won't evaporate.

Also: NEVER change the pH of your tank. That's just asking for trouble.

You should be changing more than 4 gallons at a time (I assume you are, but maybe you aren't...)

Just get conditioner and take the guesswork out.

the water in some areas has more than chlorine in it. Get a water conditioner like prime that works instantly, and has other benefits.

Depends

use an ion exchange resin to get all impurities and chlorine out of the water , most water filters use them to purify water

just get chemicals that neutralize the pH of the chlorine... youre going to need it anyways to keep your levels right

24 hours or just drop in some water conditioner and your good right away.

• Pamela

Over night if left un capped.