Michael asked in HealthDental · 5 years ago

Is there a way to slow the progression of a cavity until getting to a dentist?

I'm a recovering drug addict and over the past 5 years or so I was so badly addicted that I barely brushed my teeth. Recently I've gotten clean and I'm disgusted with myself. Prior to this I took excellent care of my teeth and never had a single cavity. I even had all 4 wisdom teeth. But now my teeth are yellow and I can see 4 cavities. If I can see 4 there's gotta be more I can't see. But is there anything I can do to slow the progression of the ones I can see until I can afford to pay for insurance? A friend said to brush really well, use some good mouth wash, then plug the cavity with wax. The kind of wax they give you when you have braces. But Idk if that'll work.

Favorite Answer

Fluoride! Proven to reduce cavities and slow progression (http://www.ada.org/en/public-programs/advocating-f... Also I'm not sure what state you are in but several states offer different free dental care options you just have to look for them. There are offices that do a free day a quarter. Another option you may want to look into depending on where you live....I live in Colorado and we have an organization called Colorado Mission of Mercy that does a free weekend once a year that moves around the state with 200 volunteer dentists. There are options don't feel hopeless! As a TEMPORARY bandaid for your teeth you can buy some stuff at the drug store that is called temp fill to put in the cavities.....good luck!

Source(s): I'm a dental hygienist

Brush your teeth, use mouth wash. And avoid eating too much sweets