Is it okay to breath steam for hours?

I had a chest congestion in March 2014 due to a bad cold.

I tried breathing in steam from a stove and it got rid of 1/3 of it instantly but I just can t seem to get rid of it all.

The doctors have no idea what I have and booked me with a specialist text/appointment all the way in January/February next year.

I don t want to wait that long because my chest congestion is causing me to have physical disadvantages. My life is pretty miserable right now. Although I can still walk and behave normally but I can t workout.

My mom warns me that steam and burn my lungs if I do it too long. Can it?

Favorite Answer

Steam has been used for centuries as a home remedy for loosening mucus. Its a remedy that can make things better if done in moderation or make things worse if its overdone. Its also easy to cause burns and irritation in the airways if you put you face too close to the steam source.

Breathing steam for hours is a bad idea - its way too much. It would be more than adequate to breathe steam for around 10 minutes at a time, no more than several times per day. A better option than steam is to use a use a cool-mist humidifier (vaporizer) in the bedroom at night, using just enough water to raise humidity to around 25%; drink extra fluids; and take Mucinex or Mucinex-D to loosen mucus. .

• Scott

Two things you need to be aware of - the risk of developing pneumonia, and the risk of micro-organisms.

If you want to keep doing the steam treatments, boil distilled water only. Make sure that you don't already have pneumonia, because the steam will aggravate it.

It is a lot I would say. Steam is fine.

• ?

You have had chestvx rays? Are you waiting to see a pumonaoligist.

If so try getting appt with another one.

If not seeing one do so immediately!

Source(s): R N