Floor drain in basement suite caused breathing problems for weeks, have a fan going now & OK should I see a Dr.? Can a Dr tell if its gases?

• Gary B
    Favorite Answer

a Doctor would be useless for this.

• Irv S

Are you sure it was a drain issue?

I'm guessing you just moved in and noticed a 'musty odor' ?

A 'sewer gas' drain issue can be solved by filling the 'U' trap with water.

(Hint: a spoon-full of mineral oil will 'cap' that water so it doesn't dry up

without risk of clogging the drain.)

Check for mold growing somewhere in the space though.

Source(s): Retired Construction Consultant

Gary B was dead on. With nagging from my son, I went in, and they compared my EKG, they did blood work, and other tests and could find nothing wrong. They tested for carbon monoxide (monoxide?) it showed nothing. My oxygen level was 96% A OK. The Dr said most likely its a reaction but he doesnt KNOW.

EXHAUSTING the air from that room helped very quickly.(no fresh air intake in that half of the apartment)

WE will be putting 5 gallons of hot water down it tomorrow, since we have to tear up the carpet the landlord put down. THANK YOU. Input from you guys is always useful *S*

I think you should pour some water down the drain in order to fill the trap and thus prevent the gasses from coming up any further. The water that was previously in the trap probably all evaporated, allowing the gasses to all come up out of the sewer.

A doctor can tell if you have lung issues such as an infection.

Sciencenut is correct, the trap probably dried up.