Atheist, do you have competent reasoning for your rejection of religion? Or is it psychological based?

• Cassie

I'm sure different people have different reasons.

Some are more intellectually based. Some are more emotionally based. But.. why does it necessarily have to be just either or?

I was an atheist for six years, and I definitely had both intellectual AND emotional reasons for it! Although I mostly preferred to emphasize the intellectual ones... Human beings are complex creatures. Our positions, and opinions, and personalities, are all intertwined! You can't just easily cut a sharp line, and separate one supposed aspect of us from another one. Change one aspect of who we are, and it will inevitably affect the whole in some way! Or at least that has very much been my experience...

You can think some decision is purely intellectual, only to figure out later on that it also had strong emotional and/or psychological components. You can feel a certain way DUE TO having made some specific intellectual discovery, and becoming convinced or unconvinced of something. You can see just the most obvious, most apparent surface level of something, but there will inevitably be a whole iceberg hidden underneath it, submerged in water!

We are both emotional AND intellectual creatures! And therefore, I think most of what we do, if not everything, is inevitably going to have both emotional and intellectual aspects to it. It's all just a matter of what we do or do not choose to recognize, and what parts of ourselves we may or may not be aware of.

Whether you reject or accept religion, there's always a psychological component, as there is for all decisions.

Generally, however, the intellectual component is more evident in the atheist choice than in the theist choice. Theists are often brought up in the religion and are predisposed to stay with it. It takes little intellectual work to stay with something you've lived with all your life.

Atheists, on the other hand, are also often brought up with religion, but they have thoughts about it and explore their doubts, ergo their thought processes are more intellectual and less psychological than those of theists.

Having taken the claimed unassailable position that there are no gods or God, what possible use is religion? It's secular usefulness can be substituted with secular equivalents. Social virtues of generosity, compassion, and good will, for example are not lacking is secular society.

The promise of universality of religion has not been delivered. Social unity is forged by tolerance and the competitive advantage of societies with laws that protect rights.

Once atheist, what purpose religion?

Full Disclosure: I am a faithful Catholic Christian who thinks athism as much as social threat as unbridled capitalism or communism.

Nobody has ever given me a reasonable explanation

for why the hypothetical god,

that they were imagining,

should be obsessed with humans

above all else.

It seems to me

that this hypothetical obsession

is a dead give-away

that all such hypothetical gods

are inventions of human vanity, ego,

and a powerful emotional need

some humans have,

to feel more important and secure,

in a vast and obviously uncaring universe.

I think it is religions that are expressions

of human psychology.

--

Regards,

John Popelish

Rejection based on the lack of any credible evidence supporting religions claims should pass for "competent reasoning"

Study the meanings of words before using them in context.

• i have asked many, and there seems to be common threads of logical fallacies used to reject religion. It's a bit irrational and not competent reasoning at all.

My reasoning is the same as my reasoning for rejection of fairies, wizards, vampires and leprechauns.

Basically, I can't just believe in every superstition ancient people make up, I need supporting evidence. Don't you?

• gillie

My atheism is the result of a couple of decades of study and thought. I don't know a single believer who put that much time and effort into examining his or her belief.

Yes, we know believers want to dismiss atheism as the result of psychological problems. That means they don't have to face our real reasons, which are apparently quite threatening.

Sure I had. I was raised a catholic, with a very religious father, at a time where religion was even taught at school as if it was the truth.

Breaking off from the brainwashing had to be a most rational process.

• Corey

There is no evidence any gods exist. Religious claims are unfounded. So yes, I have competent reasoning for irreligion.