Atheist, does objective morality exist?

If so, what is the source and how do you define "objective"? If not, do you concede that concepts like "justice" "fairness" and "equality" are nothing more than social fads. And acts of oppression and violence must be regarded as differences in opinion?

Kyle, you need to learn the bible before you expose your position. The bible asks us to preach the gospel, not to try to persuade people to believe it. You are presenting your own understanding, and the bible says don't do that. Read a chapter of Proverbs every day. Proverbs has 31 chapters so you can keep your place by just looking at a calendar. There is no religion or nothing in Proverbs and you don't have to believe anything. Just read every day. When you are comfortable with that, then read the bible from Romans to 2 Thessalonians over and over until you start to remember what it says. That is the part that applies to Christians.

When two or more people live in the same area they have to adopt some rules about who does what to whom. Any such rule is called a moré, pronounced "mor-ay". The adjective form is moral, and the habit of following morés is morality. Morés do not have to be right, only accepted. Another group on the other side of the river might have very different morés.

-If one argues, as some deeply religious individuals do, that without God there can be no ultimate right and wrong - namely that God determines for us what is right and wrong - one can then ask the question: What is God decreed that rape and murder were morally acceptable ? Would that make them so ?

While some might answer yes, I think most believers would say no, God would not make such a decree. But why not ? Presumably because God would have some *reason* for not making such a decree. Again, presumably this is because *reason* suggests that rape and murder are not morally acceptable. But if God would have to appeal to *reason*, then why not eliminate the middleman entirely ?- Lawrence Krauss, A Universe From Nothing, Pgs 171-172.

----------------

According to the bible, which one of the following is immoral?

a) Raping someone

b) Treating women as objects

c) Picking up sticks on a Saturday

d) Genocide

e) Infanticide

f) Killing someone for having different views to you

g) Slavery

According to the Bible, only option c) is wrong. All of the others are either accepted as mainstream, or even encouraged, in the Bible.

However, you and I both know that all of the others are wrong and that c) is perfectly innocent. You do not get your morality from scripture and neither does anyone else.

Searching through religious scripture for morality is like searching through the sewers for small coins; sure, there is some in there, but is it really worth it?

-------------

“Do you really mean to tell me the only reason you try to be good is to gain God's approval and reward, or to avoid his disapproval and punishment? That's not morality, that's just sucking up, apple-polishing, looking over your shoulder at the great surveillance camera in the sky, or the still small wiretap inside your head, monitoring your every move, even your every base though.” ― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

Morality develops in social animals. Humans' strength come from us banding together; being together means more resources for everyone and more protection from outside danger; it's beneficial. But if everyone was going around stealing and raping, then it wouldn't be beneficial. So the societies that survived in the past were the ones where the individuals decided that they would be decent to everyone else if everyone else was decent to them. I don't steal from you, you don't steal from me, we live together peacefully. Morals simply make sense. We all agree to stop at stop signs, not because it's "right," and not just because we'll get in trouble if we don't, but because if we all do it, it makes the roads safer and easier to navigate for everyone.

I have one moral I follow: "Don't be an asshole." That's what I live my life by. I think people should try to reduce suffering in the world and pursue whatever makes them happy so long as it doesn't prevent someone else from doing the same. I don't know if you'd consider that objective or not.

• S

Morals are defined by society, not by fairy tales. I'm not sure why theists are so desperate for 'universal morals' that they need an imaginary friend and some fairy tales to get them. The great thing about morals is that they aren't universal and that they're specific to the time and place we live in.

There's a reason we don't have universal laws, for example - because laws need to be specific to their environment to be effective.

Source(s): I try to avoid copy-pasting from previous answers, but this one is just relevant.

Morality is a product of societies which social animals form. Human morality is human based.

Imagine a world without humans and ask yourself - what is moral or immoral in this world? Can you name one thing?

Concepts like "justice" "fairness" and "equality" are not set in stone. If you want to call them fads, I will permit it. Remember how slavery was okay for thousands of years including biblical times, and then it was suddenly not okay? That's fads for you, a few thousand years and they just pass.

• Corey

No.

Morality is derived from the shared human experience. Independent of a mind's value judgements.

No.

No.

• Phil

Objective morality exists within the purview of the inalienable rights of the individual. Justice, fairness, and equality transcend social fads when they are undergirded by the belief in objectivism.

Justice and fairness and equality have something to do with one's concept of respect. Respect for oneself and others. No gods necessary I would suggest.

Judging from all these answers, this is why we shouldn't have atheists in government.

One day they will remove "Thou shalt not murder" from government.

Oh wait, they have: Abortion.

RIP America

Simplicity can be wrong. I believe that is common sense. Might not be, in which case, then common sense is wrong.