Is my bread good to eat?

I just put my bread dough in the oven with just the light on to make it rise and it seems to have baked just a bit instead of just rising. I baked it anyway but I don t know if it is okay to eat. Does anyone know?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

The rising process in baking is very sensitive and takes practice. It's rather scientific. The temperature and length of time has to be just right, and the yeast has to have been mixed in at the right temperature to activate it to do its magic. It sounds like you either had the temperature for rising too high, or you left it to rise too long or both.

It will be a dense product and tough (I won't explain the science behind what the yeast does to the protein strands in the flour- all you need to know is that you need to pay attention to temp and time. It will however be fine to eat without getting sick.

• 5 years ago

Source(s): Modern People Paleo Cookbook : http://paleocookbook.raiwi.com/?lLaQ
  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Your bread is perfectly safe to eat, although it may well be a bit more dense.

Next time, try sealing the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in a warm place, such as over the stove if you are using it, or on the window sill till it effectively doubles in size.

Source(s): Professional Chef
  • Gary C
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Bread that didn't rise, but is cooked, is safe to eat. It may not taste good or have a pleasing texture,though.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

If it did not rise properly and you baked it the bread is safe to eat. It may be a bit more dense then usual but it will not harm you.

• 5 years ago

Yes . It is good to eat .

• 5 years ago

Yes you can eat. It is already baked no matter it is rise or not.

• 5 years ago

no it didn't bake but it did dry out. Of course its safe to eat...why wouldn't it be?

• Alice
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

It will be like eating a brick, but it won't make you sick.

• 5 years ago

It's fine, as long as it's done in the middle.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.