As peaceful as Buddhism, Taoism, and Jainism seem, is it possible to live in complete non-violence? If so, can happiness still be achieved?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Cassie
    Lv 6
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

*Complete* non-violence..?

No. We will always be accidentally stepping on small insects, etc, even if we don't mean to. And our immune system will always be battling intruders, such as viruses and bacteria, in order to ensure our survival, regardless of how we feel about it.

Then again, that doesn't mean we can't still try to do our best! It's all a matter of degree... So trying to cut down on one's meat consumption, for instance, while not as good as complete vegetarianism or veganism, is still better than uncritically eating tons of meat every day! Releasing flies, spiders and mosquitoes into the open without killing them, while still killing wasps and bees, because you're afraid to get stung, is still better than mindlessly killing everything, without giving a sh*t! Just do what you can... Just do what you're able to... And as you keep developing on your path, you very well might gradually feel an incentive to do more. :)

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Except for the odd accidental killing of an insect, and my body killing bacteria, I have managed to avoid violence in my life since 1974.

Even those who wished to do harm, I have been able to deflect that intention without having to respond with anger.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

The Virgin Mary is the Queen of Peace. It is good to honor her daily by carefully reciting her angelic psalter.

• Steve
    Lv 6
    5 years ago

None of those religions mentions are free of violence, but compared to Abrahamic ones, they are.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Yes , non violence means to even give up thoughts of revenge & anger.

Everything starts from mind.

http://tipitaka.wikia.com/wiki/Dhammapada_Verse_1_...

http://tipitaka.wikia.com/wiki/Dhammapada_Verse_2_...

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

yes

yes

• 5 years ago

no ..muslims even annoy buddhists to violence

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.