chris asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 5 years ago

Canadian and american stereotypes?

I'm Canadian, and i want to know some Canadian stereotypes American's have about us, just list them and write if you actually think they are true or not because i'm curious as to if American's actually think some of the stereotypes are true. Thanks!

Canadian Stereotypes I've heard....

1. People brag a lot

2. Skinny

3. Hockey

4. People are racist

5. They hate Mexicans

Watch an episode of the TV show "Due South". Most Americans think we are all like Benton Fraser on that show. Once you see the show you can decide if any of the traits of Benton Fraser are true Canadian or not.

This Canadian lived in LA from 2001 to 2010 and my Canadian daughter is married to a US citizen and is there permanently. In reality, English Canadians blend into the USA seamlessly and unless we tell someone we are Canadian they do not even know.

I've been to Canada and loved it and everyone I met, but I honestly don't think I've ever really had a stereotype in my head of what Canadian's are like. I'll try and think of some that others may think or joke about though.

That all Canadian's (except maybe French Canadian's) are nice, unless they are watching or playing hockey.

That everyone plays hockey.

That you are all outdoorsy type people.

That moose roam around everywhere.

• C.M. C

Hey Adelaide, your were hitting the right notes till you mentioned French Canadians...............I'm not French Canadian, but live in the province of Quebec. Come on we are not that bad. So you may have mingled with a couple of separatists, we are not all like that.

Oh sorry Chris you were asking? lolol

We live in igloos

It snows all year round

We eat beaver or seal meat

We say Eh a lot

We pronounce it aboot instead of about

We are nice all the time

Poutine eating, moose riding, igloo living, French speaking socialist.

Sorry.