How would the economy change if everyone had access to a "free" education ( if there was )?

but let's say right now, those graduates are educated but underemployed, settling on low-wage downgrades

Update:

what are some money concerns if we had "free" education

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago
    Best Answer

Education is an investment. Economists can show you how increased education pays off in increased GDP. That's why countries like Mexico and China are investing heavily in education. Only the US views it as some kind of welfare. There are many jobs available right now that require some specialized skills. The people who don't have jobs don't have the money to pay for training for the jobs available. Getting them employed would mean greater tax revenues and increased productivity.

• Ditka
      Lv 7
      4 years agoReport

That's the problem with today's US educational system.. Which I mind you went from number 1 in the world to below 20th.. So many unqualified idiots with diplomas who cant even answer a simple History question but can tell you all about the injustices and give you excuses why they fail.

• 4 years ago

At the end of WWII the GI Bill offered free college to any vet. Consequently (not coincidentally) in the 1950s/60s we had the highest concentration of college grads in the world. And we led the world in aerospace, computers, electronics, semiconductors, high tech, etc. etc.

IOW, as Harwarda said, education is an INVESTMENT.

You were right to put 'free' in quotes. NOBODY really believes it could be free. The argument is about how we pay for it. Police and fire protection, highways and bridges, air traffic control, epidemic control, national parks, none of that is FREE.

• Jeff D
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

We already provide loans for higher education. A good degree in a valuable field will pay for itself many times over--it doesn't need to be free.

"Free education" is just going to yield more graduates with degrees in Women's Studies or Literary Criticism--and they still won't be able to find jobs.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Worse than ever.

WHO exactly pays for free education?

Do the Professors work for free?

Is room and board free?

Are books free?

Is food on campus free?

I'M STUPID.

Please explain to me how "free education" works!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

K-12 is free. Well, free of you don't include paying taxes.

• John W
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Taxing others means slower growth rate for the economy which then in turn means higher unemployment

I used student loans and worked, I wouldnt want others to pay for me

• 4 years ago

The economy would be much worse from all the increased taxes to pay for that free higher education.

Plus all those college educated graduates on unemployment and working for min. wage and not paying taxes would compound the problem.

Free education is not the answer.

Personal responsibility is the solution.

• 4 years ago

We should have done that instead of spending (borrowing) a trillion dollars to invade Iraq.

• Ditka
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Free means.. has no value.... you can figure the rest out for yourself...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.