Help with improv and choreography?

Hi, I dance for 10 hours a week in ballet, jazz, hip hop, lyrical and tap. Recently, I've started taking an improv class, which I'm doing terribly in - I just can't think of choreography on the spot! I always end up doing the same thing over and over again. Do you have any tips to help me improve my improvisational skills? I'm also not that good at choreographing dances, even when it's not improv, so all your advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Favorite Answer

Hi, let me tell you that I am not the best at improv either, but as a dancer, being able to improv on the spot is a necessity. Honestly, if you're one of those people who can just not make up choreography on the spot, do it at home. Take some time before class, throw on some music, and choreograph a few short snippets of choreography that you can use when you run out of stuff to do in class.

Choreography takes time!! Just go for it!! If it's rubbish, then the next dance will be better!

Let the music guide your moves.