Pete S
Lv 6
Pete S asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 4 years ago

Steering wheels on airplanes....?

@0:52 seconds in this video, you can see the pilot of a C-130 completely letting go of the youke and steering the aircraft with a mini steering wheel on the left side ofv the instrument panel. Question is, are there many other aircraft that use a separate system like this one to steer when taxiing, landing etc...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6tWimnnj5c

Youtube thumbnail

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Best Answer

Nosewheel steering with transport category airplanes -

All transport airplanes I flew can be taxied and maneuvered using a small wheel or "tiller" -

The amount of deflection angle the nosewheel is to the maximum, could be 60º to the L or R -

This is for slow taxi operations and tight ramp maneuvering -

Most all transport airplanes have reduced nose wheel steering using rudder pedals -

The angle of deflection is minimum, such as 10º on L and R -

Examples would be 727, 747 or DC8 -

This is suitable for early stages of takeoff roll, or end of landing roll -

Note -

The 747 body gear (aft fuselage) is also steerable for tight turns -

Source(s): Retired airline pilot - 707, 727, 747, DC8 -
    • Pete S
      Lv 6
      4 years agoReport

Thank you Captain! Happy New Year.

• 4 years ago

Yes, it's called the 'tiller' and is on most large airplanes. Smallest planes I know of that have them are Learjets and Short Skyvan. Rudder pedals are good for about 5-10 degrees of nose wheel steering and tillers can turn them up to 70 or 80 degrees.

On smaller planes, the nose wheel can simply caster with differential braking or asymmetric thrust, but won't work on larger aircraft without over stressing the tires.

• 4 years ago

Yes nearly all aircraft have them! It's a 'nose steering wheel' meaning it controls the nose gear starring on the ground, not in the air! Its instead of using a rudder as a rudder wouldn't be good enough on larger planes.

• John R
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

I have to call "BS" on parts of the other 2 answers. Most light planes have a steerable nosewheel, controlled by the rudder pedals. There are a few types that have a fully castoring nose wheel, but they are the exception, not the rule.

Many, but not all, transport aircraft have a separate tiller for the nose wheel.

• John R
      Lv 7
      4 years agoReport

I'm talking about fully castoring nosewheels. The ability for the nose wheel to deflect through a soft linkage, like a spring or a bungee, does not make it a castoring nosewheel. The front wheels of a grocery cart castor, the nosewheel of a C152 not so much

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Most aircraft have this feature, which is used for taxiing on the ground.

• When planes are on the ground, they are steered by a combination of thrust, rudder and angling the nosewheel. The wheel controls the nosewheel. All larger planes have them. Smaller planes are controlled by thrust and rudder and the nosewheel acts like a castor.

• Pete S
      Lv 6
      4 years agoReport

I've literally watched hundreds for cockpit landing videos and always failed to notice that until today :)) Thanks man.

• 4 years ago

Here's how it works.

Attachment image
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.