Would it be fun to join an adult beginner's ballet class or should I try another type of dance instead?

I’m a student looking for something fun to do in my spare time. Would beginner’s adult ballet be a good idea? I took it as a little kid but I don’t remember a lot about it.

Would there be a lot of actual dancing or would it be mostly stretching and learning to stand the right way and doing small things like moving your foot back and forth, so just generally not a lot of movement? You know like just learning all the basic techniques and proper form without really putting it all together and actually dancing because you are just a beginner. I’m worried that as a beginner class you would be learning the foundation basics and that you’d have to get to a higher level before you did fun stuff.

Also, we wouldn’t be using pointe shoes so I was thinking about how much of ballet you really can do because whenever you see a real ballet dance so much of the moves don’t look like they’re possible unless you have those types of shoes.

Favorite Answer

Of course you would be learning basics and proper form. Even professional ballet dancers still take daily class where they do barre just like a beginner does. It is a lot more than just stretching. Ballet class is broken up into three parts. Barre, center and across the floor. At the barre you work on engaging and holding turnout and then you bring what you learn at the barre into the center. Then the last part of the class is for moving combinations across the floor including turns. Ballet has a lot of repetition because it takes time to build the strength and muscle as well as gain dance technique. While you think it may look like you aren't doing much at the barre you are working hard keeping proper alignment and learning to engage the right muscles. Personally I find all of that fun. You will learn turns and adagio ( working on combinations in the center) in a beginner class. Expecting to just dance ballets without learning proper form and gaining dance technique is like expecting to read a book in another language without first learning the alphabet.

Regarding pointe work, everything that ballet dancers do en pointe is first mastered on flat. It isn't the shoes that move like that and do the work it is the dancer.

If you want to take another genre and the school is a good recreational dance school they usually won't allow you to unless you take ballet first with the exception of tap. Schools that allow anyone to take any class without taking ballet first are not going to offer the best training. If you are in a class such as modern/contemporary, jazz, or lyrical dance don't expect to do very well without ballet training. Those in the class that have ballet will do far better. If that doesn't bother you being one of the worst in the class as long as you are having fun, that is still an option.

Whether you find it fun or not, no one can say. Take a trial class and see if you like it. That is the only way to know for sure.

Source(s): My daughter is a professional dancer. I worked for NYCB ( New York City Ballet)

Unless you are really strong and flexible, I'd avoid any ballet class as an adult. Why not try modern dance. It uses more natural movement, and you have less danger of hurting yourself.

Source(s): I've taken modern dance to stay in shape.