Shyanne asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 4 years ago

I need help Studying for my French test?

I have a French test tomorrow and I'm a little confused. To say "it" in French you have to replace the noun with the pronoun. I also know that the pronoun goes before the verb

For example instead of saying: "Je prendrai mon souper au restaurant" you would say "Je le prendrai au restaurant".

The part I'm condfused about is when the sentence is in the past and if it has more than one verb. So if the sentence was: "J'ai mange mon déjeuner hier". or "Elles veulent manger"

By pronoun I mean le, la, les l'

• Tangi
    Favorite Answer

If a sentence has a verb conjugated in a compound tense (like passé composé), personal pronouns still go before the verb so right before the auxiliary of the verb.

Example :

- J'ai mangé le pain => Je l'ai mangé

- Il aura su qui je suis => Il l'aura su

However, the use of a direct object pronoun (le la les) changes something.

The rule of agreement of the past participle when the auxiliary is the verb "avoir" (this is the case for most verbs) is that it agrees in gender and number with the direct object of the verb if this direct object is placed before the verb. If there is no direct object before the verb, the past participle is neutral (masculine singular).

So for example :

- J'ai mangé => No agreement, there is no direct object

- J'ai mangé la tarte => No agreement, there is a direct object, "la tarte" which is feminine singular but it's after the verb.

- Je l'ai mangée => The direct object "la tarte" is replaced by the direct object pronoun "la" which is placed before the verb so the past participle agrees in gender and number with it.

If a sentence has a dual verb construction, the pronoun will go right before the verb it's related to. Since the second verb is the object of the first verb, the meaningful verb of the pair is the second one so most of the time, pronouns will be right before the second verb.

For example :

- Elles veulent le manger => "le" is the object of "manger". They dont want it, they want to eat it.

- Je promets de le faire => "le" is the object of "faire". I don't promise it, I promise to do it.

And since the second verb is the object of the first verb, you can replace the second verb with a direct object pronoun so :

- Elles veulent le manger => Elles le veulent

- Je promets de le faire => Je le promets