Regarding the controversy at the Oscar's. Shouldn't the best performances be nominated regardless of color?

Update:

Maybe all the best performances just happened to be white?

Update 2:

So, do some of you think that people of color should be nominated just to "fill a quota" when a caucasian person may have had a much stronger performance? I don't think any of us want to go that direction.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

What about Leonardo DiCaprio? How about Harrison Ford or Tom Cruise? It's not only black actors that get shelled out of winning an Oscar. Many talented actors never win,but of course people like turn these things into an issue when they are anything but.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

The problem is that "best performances" is subjective. Every year, film critics publish their own lists of "best performances". Sometimes they agree with the Oscar nominations and sometimes they don't. I don't know if Michael B. Jordan is on any critics' lists for Creed, or if Will Smith is for Concussion. But there are always people who disagree with the Oscar choices.

Here's the thing- Oscar voters are overwhelmingly white, middle-aged and old men. That's because outside the specific actress categories, most of the people who win Oscars (for producing, directing, art direction, special effects, etc., etc.) are men. So movies that appeal to white middle aged men win a disproportionate number of Oscars. Movies about women have a tough time getting any attention from Oscar voters, too. So there's certainly some bias, although it's probably not deliberate.

Did YOU think Birdman was the best film last year? It was about a--- middle aged white man.

• Ron
    Lv 6
    5 years ago

"Best" is subjective. It's not like a foot race where you can time the performance with a stopwatch. It is how the voters feel about it.

Overall, the purpose of the Oscars is to promote the American movie industry, an industry that actually is somewhat diverse but you wouldn't know it from the Oscars.

That is where the indignation comes in.

"Best" is such a hard to define term. Awards are handed out for merit, sure, but they are also handed out for a body of work, a sense that it is the actor's "turn" for having lost so many times before, for a unique situation, or denied because of politics or because not enough people happened to see that movie.

Basically, I am TOTALLY in favour of rigging the nominations because why not? It is an entertainment gala, NOT the Nobel Prize and certainly not about a topic that can be scientifically weighed and measured.

Besides, Straight Outta Compton was amazing, and Ryan Coogler is a genius.

• 5 years ago

The problem is that 94% of the voters are white, 76% are men, and they average 63 years old.

That doesn't really fit the demographics of the nation, I'm sure you agree. Don't you think there could be some bias, even if it might have been unintentional? By the way, this is the second year in a row this has happened.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Yes, which is why it really sucks when some of the best performances don't get nominated and many of them happen to have black actors and directors. Are you finally understanding?

Look man I didn't' see the movies this year but let's consider Spike Lee, who is spearheading this boycott. In 1989, Driving Miss Daisy won best picture and Do the Right Thing was not even nominated. I don't see how you can watch both movies and not agree that Spike lee got robbed and deserves to complain. And if he sees it happen to other actors and directors 15 years later of course he's qualified to speak out.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Yes, that should be the case, but it doesn't seem that way. Hollywood has talented actors and actresses of different ethnic backgrounds. But judging how they honor people, you would think that everyone of talent is white and that's not really true.

• 5 years ago

Yes,but that's not gonna happen so all black actors and actresses need to stop attending the oscars and continue to attend and support black award shows.They should let those crackas have their boring a:ss oscars all to themselves.

• 5 years ago

Not in modern America. If all the best performances are by white people, you stir up a s**tstorm.

• L.N.
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

What makes you think they weren't?

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

OOOOOOh..you better watch that kInd of thInkIng...not at aLL PC!

You are goIng to be labeled 'racIst' and 'hater'.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.