Why did Lebanon remain mostly Christian, while he rest of the middle east became dominated by Islam?

Update:

I know Lebanon isn't mostly Christian anymore, my question is why did (past tense) it remain mostly Christian?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A couple of reasons. Basically the Popes worked out a deal with the Fatimid's, Ayyubid and Ottomans to leave the Christian population alone in Lebanon in return for access to trade routes. Later France protected Christians in Lebanon when I think it was Napoleon 2 declared France the protector of Christians in Muslim occupied lands. When France left Lebanon, Christians began to be persecuted.

• 5 years ago

Here in Norway, I work as a volunteer for the Red Cross and assist refugees to learn our language and culture. Would you believe that 60 percent of the Eritreans are Christians? And they are proud of it, wearing often a cross around the neck.

The Egyptian Copts were first-time Christians and you find them also in Libya and Sudan and the Orthodox church is also very present in the Middle-East. Then there are the Catholics who have been there since the Crusades.

• 5 years ago

In the near past the majority of Lebanese were Christian. That is no longer true. I don't know how it became mostly Christian.

• Moi
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Your claim is not supported by the CIA

Religions:

Muslim 54% (27% Sunni, 27% Shia), Christian 40.5% (includes 21% Maronite Catholic, 8% Greek Orthodox, 5% Greek Catholic, 6.5% other Christian), Druze 5.6%, very small numbers of Jews, Baha'is, Buddhists, Hindus, and Mormons

note: 18 religious sects recognized (2012 est.)

CIA World Factbook

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Because worshipers of Islam knew that the original Trinity of *God the Father, His Word, and His Wisdom*

always existed before anything so wretched and disgraceful as 'christianity' ever came into existence.

They chose not to betray Allah by drinking from the foul teat, which contained the prophecies of 'christianity'.

To them, this decision was good ... and it appears, they knew what was right.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Once upon a time, there were intelligent people settling there. The low intelligence Moslems have taken over.

• 5 years ago

What Marcus said.

• 5 years ago

God is not restrained by man's geopolitical boundaries.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

the Lebanese liked bacon

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.