Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSTDs · 5 years ago

Reasons they should (Rachel) and or shouldn't have a child (Tyrone). Keep in mind they are only 23 and 22 years old still in school.?

A couple, male and female; Tyrone and Rachel have been in a relationship for 7 years since they were 15 and 16 years old. Rachel's mother has recently passed away due to breast cancer. She fears this cancer gene will be passed onto her. As Rachel is examined she is informed that she will have the cancer that her mother died of. Seeing as this gene was passed on and she has inherited it. Having received this knowledge Rachel knows that she must shortly commence her chemotherapy to attempt to lengthen her life span and to clear the cancer from her body. The chemicals in the chemotherapy will make it impossible for her to have children as they will terminate the eggs. That being said, Rachel must either have a child now or she will never be able to carry or birth a child of her own. Rachel wishes to have a child and to not only experience motherhood, but carrying a child as well. Although Tyrone loves Rachel ( and vice versa ) he does not feel he is ready or capable to have a child.

I need reasons as to why Tyrone and Rachel would be correct in this situation.

For ex.: Pros For The Male:

- If you don't survive I will be stuck raising the kid alone and will grow up without his mother.

- Not ready to have children.

- Doesn’t feel responsible enough. (and etc...)

Pros for the Female:

- Will not be able to experience having a child for herself.

- Won’t be able to birth a child of her own. (and etc...)

Attachment image

8 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 5
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I empathize with you,don't despair and be strong.It is not always passed on through the gene's so get the proper diagnosis.If all fails you can adopt a child and bring happiness into all your lives.In God we trust ...chin up.Sean

• 5 years ago

You wrote at the end "pros" for Rachel and Tyrone. But wrote only negative things.

Pros is positive and cons is negative.

You also don't get told you will definitely develop a cancer, they can tell you that you have a high likely hood of developing but they will not use chemotherapy until you DO have cancer. This is not the way it works.

• Matt
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

They should not have a child at this point. They should, instead, opt for a different doctor who actually understands what he or she is talking about.

Preventive chemotherapy would do nothing for her, so it would not be indicated. Most likely would be a stepped up monitoring program. At worst it would be surgery.

Since her eggs are not rapidly dividing cells, they would not be impacted by the chemo even if she had it. She would not get pregnant while on chemo, but it would not make her sterile.

• 5 years ago

Testing positive for either of the breast cancer genes (BRCA1 or BRCA2) does not mean that breast cancer is inevitable. It does mean an increased risk.

Testing positive for BRCA1 or BRCA2 does not result in receiving chemotherapy. Being diagnosed with breast cancer (usually Stage 2 or Stage 3 disease) results in chemotherapy.

Testing positive for BRCA1 or BRCA2 means receiving extensive genetics counseling in which the counselor goes over the many options that a person would face with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 positive result.

Go back to the drawing board and rethink how you want to write this "book."

Source(s): I have Stage IV breast cancer. My mother died of metastatic breast cancer as well ... however, I do not have either BRCA gene mutation.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Preventative chemotherapy is NOT done in a case such as this.

If any treatment it would be a double prophylactic mastectomy , .

You are obviously making this up from a very poor knowledge base.

Source(s): Have been tested. Have a faulty BRCA gene. Have had appropriate genetic counseling as has my daughter, sister, brother, 3 nieces and a nephew. The rest of the family did not inherit this genetic fault.
  • 5 years ago

What she has never had she wont miss and does she want to go ahead and have a baby and pass the cancer gene to the child? Why would she want the child to be motherless in the future - there is no Pros to this question

Source(s): Mum &Grandma
  • 5 years ago

Interesting proposal

• 5 years ago

Perhaps this belongs in the Homework Help section. What is the photo there for ?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.