Can you replace just the pulley on a belt tension pulley assembly?

OK, so normally I'd just replace the whole unit and be done with it. But at the moment money is tight till next Friday. I get paid every 2 weeks. $15 for just the pulley vs $85 for the whole unit.

• M.

Are you asking because the pulley BEARING is damaged? I often just change the bearing! I get them for about $4. You have to press it out of the pulley and back in, without bending the pulley.

Same for an idler pulley, if your car has one.

Electric motor bearings fit the pulleys, but must be double rubber seals, not dust shields. That is indicated by 2RS at the end of the bearing part number.

Sometimes alternator bearings fit idler pulleys. Get the bearing out and tell me the number.

You do NOT have to replace the whole tensioner assembly, but you must take it off to get the pulley off.

Usually, there is a left hand thread on the pulley bolt/nut. So have a good look at it. You turn it clockwise to remove the nut.

You can probably remove the pulley without removing the tensioner part from the engine. Just take the belt off the tensioner pulley first.

Source: Engine overhaul mechanic since 1972

• Mr.357

If ONLY the pulley is damaged (doesn't happen very often) it would be STUPID to replace the whole assembly. Does the bearing come with the pulley? If not, and you insist on replacing the pulley, I would replace the bearing in the pulley also.

Hi the reason is simple it is not just the pulley wheel itself but the whole of the belt tensioner that needs to be replaced which has proven to be the issue in 99 cases out of 100.

Since you have a price already for just the tensioner pulley why do you even need t ask? You think they offer just the pulley to tease you?! If the tensioner spring still works just do the pulley.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Jesk

if you need the tensioner as a whole, you had better get that, but yes pretty much every tensioner you can replace just the pulley, if it is just a slightly noisey bearing you can take the pulley off, and pop the seals off and repack with grease and that will buy you some time

If it is possible to buy just the pulley, it must be possible to replace just the pulley.

You can. Replace with a whole assembly when you have the money.

C