A Windows question?

I purchased a computer with Windows Professional (Service Pack 1) already installed. I need to activate it within two weeks. My question is this. Is it okay to keep what I have installed , purchase a product key and just enter it rather than having to install Windows all over again?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

When you bought the computer, you should have received the necessary product key. You shouldn't have to buy a second product key, the computer purchase is supposed to include the operating system. Go back to the people you bought it from and tell them you want a product key. It would be like buying a car, then being told you also have to buy an engine for the car!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • DW
    Lv 6
    4 years ago

Yes, that's OK. Microsoft allows you to run an unactivated OS during a grace period, then activate it later.

If the computer's original manufacturer installed that version of Windows, it should have a Genuine Windows sticker with a valid license key.

As no1home2day said - if you thought you were purchasing a computer with an activated OS but got one without an OS, you got ripped off. The seller should provide the key or refund the cost of purchasing one.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Why do you have to purchase? Isn't there a coa on the side or under the battery?

Yes you can purchase a key without having to reinstall.

• Danial
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Yes

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

You will need a key to match the version you have. Purchasing a random key is unlikely to work.

• Flexon
    Lv 6
    4 years ago

Yes that is okay. You only need to enter your product key, you don't need to reinstall anything.

• 4 years ago

That's how it works. You don't have to re-install anything, you just enter the activation code and all is good.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.