R & S? Are the main "beliefs"..of new agers similar to Hinduism?

I think they both follow yoga, that philosophy?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Best Answer

In many respects there are some similarities, or compromises with Hinduism, depending on your take. Decades ago I read two of Shirley MacLaine's books about her discovery of the New Age enthusiasm that arose in the 1970s. Basically, trying to define the New Age is like trying to nail jelly to a wall! But here goes...

It takes from the world of yoga, reincarnation, crystal power, Hindu mantras, and past-life recall experiences. Spirit guides inform adherents that each individual is God, and they try to pass along the “wisdom” trail that teaches the person to be unlimited. One only has to realize it.

New Age thinking has its roots, then, in Eastern mysticism, which attempts to bypass the mind. There is a new organ of perception—the third eye—which gives spiritual light. One needs to get to the “psychic self” by training one’s self to ignore messages from the mind or to see that the mind is actually achieving “cosmic consciousness.” The mind can create reality. That is very similar to Hindu belief.

Try the link below for much more on this. AiH

• Annsan_In_Him
      Lv 7
      4 years agoReport

The similarities are there. If you had read Shirley Maclain's books you would have spotted that. Just because authentic Hindu beliefs have been hackneyed by New Agers does not alter the fact that NA people agree with some Hinduistic beliefs. They have corrupted them but they remain basically Hindu.

• 4 years ago

I think that the 'beliefs' tend to "wish" they were like Hinduism ... but the practice & achievement, fail miserably.

• ssrvj
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Sanaathana Dharmam (a.k.a.Hinduism) is Time Honored --Time Tested -(,>9016 =almost 10,000 years old )

1000s of Sages--Seers--Saints -have put in their Efforts to develop that Religion to the STATUS -it is Today

1,100.000,000 (1.1.Billion ) Hindus Follow VEDIC SANAATHANA DHARMAM

New Age Religion has No such Textual (Scriptural) -Historical,-Cultural,and Social advantages

In the Past 10,000 years -SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many Sub-Religions separated from MOTHER HINDUISM ---But HINDUISM is still going Strong -ALIVE with very large following (Third Largest PEACEFUL -TOLERANT- Religion in the World) -in its own VEDIC PATH

There is NO WORLD Religion which has NOT borrowed "Concepts" from Hinduism --New Age MAY be JUST ONE

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

i blame the Beatles!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.