Puf asked in PetsOther - Pets · 5 years ago

Is weed bad for hedgehogs?

I have a friend who smokes weed, a LOT. She had me over one day and offered me some, and when I declined she said "but even Pooh (her hedgehog) likes it!" She then gave her hedgehog a "hit" by using her hands as a funnel and blowing her smoke in the poor things face!! She says that she knows Pooh likes it because right before she blew the smoke in her face, Pooh's quills were sticking up and as Pooh inhaled the secondhand smoke her quills went down. She also gives hits to her cat, which I KNOW is harmful! Is weed harmful to hedgehogs too?? And if it is, what can I tell her so she'll stop??? Scientific evidence would be greatly appreciated, I've already tried to tell her my opinion and I certainly don't need yours. She generally listens to proven facts, so if you have a link that'd be great to add! Thanks!!

No! I smoke weed an I'm 19 but I have a ferret and no he can't get high. Not sure he would like it or not, but if an animal isn't smart enough that I can consent to using any form of drug (hint: only humans are that smart) then it should not have that drug forced upon it. Other than that the weed smoke could harm my ferret's respiratory system. It's quite small so I know it would be easy for any form of smoke to overwhelm it.

Well, you can tell if an animal likes it or not. For example, when I was much younger I used to sprinkle little nugs in my sister's hamster's food bowl and even in a dead sleep the hamster would wake up, shoot out of bed, run straight to it's food bowl and go straight to the weed. The hamster loved to exercise and run around playing when under the influence.

My dog, on the other hand hates weed. He won't even go near it and it you hold a piece of it up to his nose, he'll turn his head and walk away. Knowing how much he dislikes marijuana I will NEVER get him high because that would be highly disrespectful to him. It would kind of be like someone putting me (hypothetically not liking marijuana) into a chamber and blowing tons of weed smoke into the chamber thus forcing me to inhale it whether I liked it or not.

Now if I had an animal that liked it, that'd be a different story.

thank goodness you had the sense to decline. not only is it harmful to her health but her animas to. the quills went down because the hedgehog felt threatened. they do that so they can roll in a ball and predators think they are dead. if you cared about her animals you would report her to an animal welfare society anonymously. do nothing and the harm she is doing her animals is your guilt as well

As if hedgies smoke that stuff in the wild, get wise. No, it would not be good for any animals.

Consider your friend totally irresponsible.

ANYTHING that replaces oxygen in an oxygen breathing creature, isn't good for them. The animals could get hooked & become very miserable if they can't get it.

call animal control asap this could kill them