I'm evicting my father.?

My father (40y/o - I am 20) has been living with my girlfriend and I for the past several months, rent free. He went through some financial set backs and lost his job. He moved in to get back on his feet.

Yesterday I found out that he had slept with a good friend of mine who is 20 years younger than him (many times). He has also been spending $15-$25 on alcohol a day from his E.I. And he blew $250+ on drugs. I had no idea this was going on. And I won't stand for that to happen under my roof.

I'm going to give him two weeks to move out. If he hasn't vacated at the end of the two weeks would I, legally, be allowed to charge him rent for said two weeks?

And this isn't me trying to get back at him for charging me rent when I lived with my parents, no he decided to leave my mother and I when I was four. I bring this up because the "Vindictive child" scenario was mentioned on another site with a similar question to this one.

6 Answers

  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Legally, you can't arbitrarily decide to alter your agreement that he can stay for free, but no matter. Tell him it's time for him to find a new place to rest his head at night, and if he won't leave voluntarily, file for legal eviction.

  • 5 years ago

    If he's using ILLEGAL drugs, you can have him arrested, give notice that his tenancy is being terminated, and petition the court for an expedited eviction, which will permanently terminate his right to live there.

    If he has simply outworn his invitation, give him at least a month's prior notice, in writing, that it's time to move on. If he's still there after a month, give him one more warning then file a lawsuit for eviction and have him served with the court summons and complaint.

  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

    You give the correct notice and go to court to get a court eviction if he doesn't leave so no you can't decide to charge him rent now, decide if you want him staying and paying rent or leaving

    Lv 7
    5 years ago

    If you charge him rent you cannot throw him out, see a lawyer about the right way to evict him.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

    You have to give him legal notice per your state laws, which is likely 30 days. If you never charged him rent, you have to give 30 days notice of change of rent.

    You cannot arbitrarily pick the amount of time the notice is for, it must follow state law.

  • J M
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

    I wouldn't worry about the rent, just be glad to get him out.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.