How do you deal with negative gossipy co-workers?

I work in an office, and the two people I work with either complain all day or talk about how the boss should run his business. They stand around my work area for hours complaining or gossiping. One is the Office Manager who says thing like " the boss needs to be b1tch slapped across the face" and she's even said she would like to kick him in the balls. One day she went as far as kicking a chair across the room while complaining & swearing about having to do work. Most people have quit because of her behavior, and because she has bullied people to get the position she is in.

I'm at wits end. This is my lively hood, and would like suggestions on handling their negative behavior. Should I tell the boss/ owner about the things she says? I do like my job other than the negative people there.

Favorite Answer

Your main choices are -

1) To quit like the others, and inform upper management on the way out when it's no longer your problem. I have done this in my career.

2) Take video and/or audio recordings and show them to upper management. Be prepared to be the one fired as she probably knows where the skeletons are buried and is immune to being fired.

3) Start interviewing now. It's easier to find work when you have work. I have done this in my career.

4) Be Zen. Water off a duck's back. You will not lower yourself to participate in these activities. Incidentally the people who are difficult to work with tend to hire more expensive contract laborers because they have built reputations. Being a contract laborer gives an extra edge of separation that makes it just a little easier to laugh on the way to the bank. I have done a lot of this in my career. "Sorry, I'm a contractor. It's against my employment contract to participate in office politics".

• A

Don't put yourself into a position as the office snitch. If the manager acts like this is will often cause other people to join in, if the manager was gone the others might stop the crap. Dont say anything that you can't prove hands down. Either get her on audio or video without being seen, if you feel you can talk to the boss, you might try it, but be prepared for the manager and the rest of the staff to attack you if the boss handles it wrong, better off to find a way to anonymously tip off the boss. OR get another job and go in and tell the boss why you are leaving

It depends on how much you like the other aspects of your job. I agree with you, that you what you're experiencing is inappropriate. I might ask HR for advice if I were you, as I look for other jobs. Unfortunately, though rude, and gossipy co-workers are everywhere. I'm dealing with some right now!

• Rick B

I think I would report a coworker if they ey were stating that they planned to physically injure someone. If she is causing people to quit, I'm certain that the boss would like to know the details.

Tape her, at her worst. Take the taping to your boss and tell him this has been going on daily for months (or however long it has been going on) and she does it at your desk, which is causing you difficulty in doing your work and you cannot take it anymore. When he hears the recording, he will fire her, which is what she deserves so don 't feel guilty. She got herself fired.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • KTR

You could complain to HR. Or, just do your work and put in headphones to block out ruckus. This is what many people do. Good luck.

Why is the upper management not DEMOTING her??? Where I work its much more professional and somebody like that would be spit on the bottom in a hurry.

Tell the HR Manager or the ethics department if you have one.

• Sal*UK

Keep your head down, get your work done and basically ignore their behaviour.