What is the best way to relearn math?

Hello,

I am 28 years old. I want to start going to college but I have forgotten a LOT of stuff. I hardly remember any formulas or even common terms like 'vectors' and 'scalars' and most others. I dropped out of high school for a few different reasons (Hurricane Katrina being one) and I got my GED. My level of knowledge is fairly poor. I have recently discovered Khan Academy which is helping but I want to explore other options. My main goal is to relearn what I have forgotten and get a basic understanding of algebra, calculus and trig. Is there perhaps a math book that goes from basic to advance, covering all the important topics? I have forgotten some 5th grade (and up) math stuff so I have a lot of catching up to do. Any recommendations or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Zack

Favorite Answer

A GED preparation text will cover a lot of the territory. Similarly, a "calculus notes" text will review the material you are interested in. These sorts of books seem to be much less expensive than a textbook.

A visit to your local library or bookstore may be useful. I find the old math texts (ca. 1920-1950) in the libary to be about the best.

Get a ruler in your hands. Measure things until you start to understand how a ruler works. Measure some stuff and figure out where the center is. Say you measure a book and it's 7/8" thick. You look at your ruler and see that every eighth is divided into two sixteenths, so obviously half of 7/8" is going to be 7/16". If you write that out you have 1/2 x 7/8 = 7/16. And you notice that 1/2 is divided into 2/4 and then into 4/8 and so on, so you can convert anything to anything by multiplying all the numbers on top and then all the numbers on bottom.

Other rulers are divided into 10 and 100 parts. But an inch is still an inch, so anything on one ruler can be translated to the other ruler. A half inch on one ruler is 5/10 or 50/100 on the other. An eighth inch is just 12.5 marks when you have 100 marks per inch. A metric ruler divides an inch into 25.4 parts, so a half inch would be 12.7 of those parts. Pretty simple, isn't it? Practice this a bit and people will think you went to wizard school.

Percent is simply a ruler with 100 marks. The only confusion is trying to keep track of what the marks represent, since that changes from time to time.

ETA: Yes, it's true. People think I am a wizard because I can work fractions.