Lv 7
Jason asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 4 years ago

Requested DD214. Got a letter instead.?

OK this is weird. I sent for a copy of my 214 to get my COE to apply for a VA loan. I got a packet of documents that included a formal, stamped letter releasing me from duty. It included all of the information found on a 214 (authority for separation, characterization, RE code, etc., etc) but it's not a form DD214. It's just a formal memo. It's officially stamped; it's from ARPC... in every way it has everything a 214 does but it's not a 214. Along with the memo I got a summary of all of my participation points; DOE, DOS, etc.

Anyone ever run into this? How the heck do I have all of the information from a DD214 without having an actual 214?! If you've run into this before, do you happen to know how I go about getting an actual 214? Did they screw up and just not send me the right stuff? Thanks!

3 Answers

  • Squid
    Lv 7
    4 years ago
    Favorite Answer


    You can get your certificate online.

  • AJ
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

    So what happened to the copy you got and was told to put it on file with the county clerk's office.

    I ETS'd from the Army 20 years ago, yet I make 1 phone call to the Ector County Clerk's Office and in 2 days I'll have a dozen certified copies of my DD214 at no cost to me.

  • 4 years ago

    You should have gotten a certified copy of your DD214 when you out processed, what did you do with it?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.