Environmental engineering, university?

I'm going to be starting university this September. Unfortunately I haven't gotten into my top choices which were mechanical engineering and an undeclared eng. program as well, and although I haven't accepted any offers yet I'm thinking about accepting BSc in environmental science, major, undeclared at Guelph.

So I got a couple questions.

Is this a good program, are people with this degree in high demand, and what kind of job can I get?

Also I was considering Environmental engineering, so if I started this environmental science program could I somehow transfer over to Env. eng. and how would I do that? Would I be able to transfer over to any other discipline of Eng. not related to the environment?

• Joe

You mean Guelph, Ontario, right?

Environmental science is put near useless, I am not aware of any job openings in that field in Canada. Environmental engineering is OK, but I don't see how you could transfer. You could ask the University, but I doubt that they will be much help either.

This sounds like a basic consumer ripoff - take your money, saddle you with a BUNCH of debt, then leave you stranded with no employment opportunities. I would be inclined to look elsewhere. At a minimum, contact some alumni of this course and see what kind of jobs they got.

If you are a calculus and physics wizard, as az_lender suggests, then opportunities will already abound and there is no need to do a transfer!

• Anonny

You don't have to go to Geulph, there are much better universities in toronto. Have you applied to york or ryerson? If not, try carleton,

Well I think ryerson engineering is closed at this time, but certain universities are still open, such as carleton, UOIT, lakehead, and others as well, just check at OUAC

Also, in all honesty i do not recommend the science degree, I mean it's up to you, but you will have much better job opportunities with an engineering degree and a much broader career choice.

Also do not pick universities based on their reputation, upon graduation, employers see a degree, no GPA, no school name, Just a degree and work experience (so make sure you do co-op).

And no you cannot transfer with the science degree into engineering, us engineers have to take specific engineering courses all 4 years, the few electives we have, are chosen from a small list of engineering-specific-electives.

Go for the engineering at another university bro, trust me, you'll be way better off.

Good luck.

In the USA, which may reflect global trends, the demand for environmental engineers much better matches the supply, than in mechanical engineering, where there are too many new grads every year. However, "environmental science" will not be the equal of "environmental engineering." How to make a switch between these two: take all available calculus and physics at the beginning of your program. If you do well in these, your transfer opportunities will abound (though I can't promise anything about the UK in particular).