I feel my co-worker is taking advantage of me. Is there a polite way of handling it?

I know this is petty, but it's been going on for such a time that I can't help think it has to stop.

I work as a deli clerk on a part-time basis in a large grocery store, my main duty being cooking pizza. When I'm not doing that, I also usually just 'float around' and help other employees with their work (making salad, cutting up meat, etc.), and I help clean the deli before closing.

Part of the expectation for employees is that they clean all their dishes before they go home for the day, and this is something I'm always sure to do. However, the other employee who makes pizza when I'm not on that shift absolutely refuses to clean her dishes. She will routinely leave work up to 10 minutes early, and most times not inform anyone that she hasn't done her dishes, meaning that the people cleaning and closing the deli at night find a nice little surprise.

Other employees have mentioned this to her, as they too have become annoyed by it, but she claims it is sexist to expect her to wash dishes. I guess she considers me something of a pushover, because she now always asks me to wash her dishes, claiming she 'forgets' each time, and doesn't have time to do so before the end of her shift. I normally wouldn't care if it was every now and again, but it's happening at least once or twice a week.

Basically, I don't buy that she consistently 'forgets' to do this, given that she clearly dislikes doing dishes. I don't want to risk getting her in trouble by reporting it, but I'm

(continued)

starting to feel taken advantage of. What should I do about this? Is there a polite way of handling it?

Favorite Answer

When you close, leave her dishes there in a pile with a nice little note that says, "Mary, we weren't sure you were finished using these so we left them for you undisturbed. Have a great day from your evening shift coworkers."