Religion and Science. Are the abuses of Science just as dangerous or even more than religions?

People often bring up religious atrocities from the Crusades to 9/11 to show the violence done in the name of religion. But Science itself can also be abused to justify some pretty atrocious stuff

-The atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki which killed up to 200-300,000 people as a consequence of the Manhattan Project(urged on by the Scientists of that day by the way)

-The Nuclear Arms race that led to many instance in which we as a species almost wiped ourselves out(Cuban Missile Crisis) as well as incidents like the Chernobly Disaster.

-The development of Chemical and Biological Weapons used in warfare(Saddam's use of chemical weapons against the Kurds killing 350,000 people, Assad's use of Chemical weapons in Syria)

-The role that industrialization and technology have played in depleting most of the world's resources and ecosystems and contributed to Climate Change and Global Warming(the biggest threat to our species)

-The abuse of science for things like Eugenics, Social Darwinism and Scientific Racism in the 19th and 20th centuries.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Religion doesn't kill, science doesn't kill, people kill.

Religion is used as a justification for many atrocities; but if there was no religion people would find another justification.

Science is used as a tool for destruction; however even when technology was not far enough advanced to create bombs mass numbers of people picked up sticks and rocks and went at each other.

Humanity can be violent. We feel threatened by that which we don't understand, we feel angry when things don't go the way we want them to go.

Religion and science have also been, and can continue to be, used for fostering peace and good will and healing and compassion. But it's not because of religion or science, it's because that's the choices people made.

• Peter
      Lv 6
      3 years agoReport

people would not find another justification for say... honour killings, female genital mutilation, blowing themselves up to go to heaven... etc.

• 3 years ago

There is no dichotomy between science and religion. Many scientists are devout believers. I would point out that a consensus of scientists never advocated destruction or death, except maybe in the Mississippi syphilis study. Neither is religion inherently evil.

Individual persons have cloaked themselves in these two, authoritative fields to commit evil and destruction. So we're back to evil people.

• 3 years ago

Are the abuses of Science just as dangerous or even more than religions?

- No. No one has ever said, this atomic device says I should use it on people I do not like. Where as, religion HAS said, kill people "I" do not like.

People often bring up religious atrocities from the Crusades to 9/11 to show the violence done in the name of religion.

- Yes, because religion said to kill the infidels in Jerusalem or kill the Cathars since they do not practice the type of religion my book says EVERYONE should do.

The atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki which killed up to 200-300,000 people as a consequence of the Manhattan Project

- The Manhattan project, scientists, created the device, POLITICIANS used it.

(urged on by the Scientists of that day by the way)

- Except that Einstein said it should not be used and Oppenheimer was removed from the project because he said it should not be used.

The Nuclear Arms race

- What part of P-O-L-I-T-I-C-I-A-N-S, do you not understand.

(Cuban Missile Crisis)

- Politicians again.

Chernobly Disaster

- Politicians skimping on the money to build it.

-The development of Chemical and Biological Weapons

- Fertilizer and bug spray.

used in warfare(

- Politicians again.

(Saddam's use of chemical weapons against the Kurds killing 350,000 people, Assad's use of Chemical weapons in Syria

- NEITHER OF WHOM WERE SCIENTISTS.

The role that industrialization and technology have played in depleting most of the world's resources and ecosystems

- Politicians trying to steal as much money as they can. No scientist was involved in any of that.

and contributed to Climate Change and Global Warming(the biggest threat to our species

- do you refuse to drive your car or take a bus or heat your home? If you don't then you have nothing to say.

The abuse of science for things like Eugenics,

- POLITICIANS used that, science didn't.

Social Darwinism

- Politicians bastardized the concept.

Scientific Racism in the 19th and 20th centuries.

- Jefferson Davis, the head of the Confederacy insisted that the bible DEMANDED slavery/racism. That thinking stuff really scares you doesn't it.

• Nous
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Which extremist sect or cult indoctrinated you to believe that God was not clever enough to use the big bang, evolution and science as his tools?

The Pope, Catholic Church, Church of England and mainstream churches all accept the big bang and evolution!

Lord Carey the former Archbishop of Canterbury put it rather well – “Creationism is the fruit of a fundamentalist approach to scripture, ignoring scholarship and critical learning, and confusing different understandings of truth”!

Nice that Christians and atheists can agree and laugh together but sadly at God’s expense!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

THe invention of the axe was science in its day, were the inventors responsible for people using them to kill other people, rather than chopping firewood. I think not.

• 3 years ago

Well kinda, I just saw that video of half the universe and my brain can't contain all the information

I might have to do some defrag and deletion

• 3 years ago

Science is only a tool, scientists can be good or evil.

• Peter
    Lv 6
    3 years ago

science is a tool, it can and is often used for horrible purposes, but this is like blaming a knife for a murder...

religion on the other hand is a set of beliefs, when you believe that anyone who does not agree with your beliefs will burn in hell, and you can blow yourself and them up, sending you AND them to heaven forever, then clearly the religious belief IS to blame.

its VERY different.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Yes, but science, while it can be instrumentally evil, is not inherently evil as religion.

• Bob
      Lv 7
      3 years agoReport

You know that the things both of them opposed were defended on religious grounds, right? The fact that there are good people in an evil that engulfs the world does not change the evil.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.