4th gen vs 6th gen intel processor?

I'm looking around to buy a new desktop for gaming, I've had the same old laptop for years. I dont know much about computer specs, but I've seen 4th gens and 6th gens both intel core i7s but whats the big difference? thanks

• Fulano

Yup, these guys said it, but I just wanted to add, with the 6th generation CPUs Intel should make some more CPUS that fit in the same socket, so you can upgrade without changing the motherboard.

But the price difference might not make it worth it at the moment.

Looking at benchmarks it seems the 6th gen CPUs are better at multi-core processing but their speed for games is very similar.

About $200

The 6th gen support DDR4, is smaller and more efficient, also has other features, if you want a very expensive computer you should buy the 6th gen but if you want something cheaper you can buy the 4th gen, the 4th is very powefull the difference between this procesors is not much, just if you´re a demanding gamer.

the difference is the die size. the actual CPU core being on a much smaller compact scale NM (nanno meter) scale which will make the CPU faster.

so take 2 CPU's that are say 3Ghz, even if they are the same speed rating, the newer generation CPU, being on a much smaller scale, more tightly packed and closer together capacitors would be more powerful, even though they are rated at the same speed.

also newer generation CPU's might have some extra features. plus the motherboards might be DDR4 and have better chipsets and controllers.