Good anime suggestions?

I ve never been a huge anime watcher, but I feel like the anime world has really blossomed in the past few years and I m curious. The only anime i ve ever watched (and enjoyed) so far are Full Metal Alchemist and Erementar Gerad. Also a big fan of anything by Studio Ghibli. I m looking for something that s rather concise (I won t watch 25 seasons), with a deep plot and complex characters and a good soundtrack. Any suggestions?

• Ciph
    Favorite Answer

Baccano! - 12 eps + 4 specials. It's a black comedy / horror series set during the 1930s in Chicago and New York. Highly recommended. The plot is very convoluted and is told out of sequence, sort of like Pulp Fiction.

Durarara! is by the same author as Baccano! and is set in the same "world" in the modern day, but is finished at 60 episodes, so it's a bit longer. Worth a look if you like Baccano!, but they're really separate stories.

Shinsekai Yori (25 episodes, 2011) it's a sci-fi series based on a novel, set in the far future. Has some great plot reveals as it goes along

Stein's;Gate (25 episodes, 2011) near-future science fiction comedy based on time travel paradoxes. It's fun at the start, but **** gets really heavy halfway through.

Hellsing Ultimate - Horror / black comedy anime series.

Death Note - well it's Death Note. Not much more to explain. Complex story, all depressing.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (the 2012-2016 version). Basically it's just bonkers. Well worth checking out even just the first 9 episodes (which is a standalone story arc). Almost everyone in this is named after some rock or heavy metal band / musicians from the 1970's - 1990s.

Angel Beats - 12 episodes. It's not long, but it's a mix of slice of life, action, horror, comedy and feels. Lots of feels. It's short, so give it a try.

Sora no Woto - 12 episodes. This one is more of a chill anime, but with lots of music. Set in a post-apoc world where modern society has collapsed, and things have regressed back to agrarian life.

Hunter x Hunter

Flowers of Evil

Akame ga kill

Parasyte