Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 4 years ago

Why are almost 'all' people oblivious to the fact that their dog came from a puppy mill, or a bad dog breeder?

Now, now, before you get angry at me. Please understand. I am not trying to anger/offend anyone, and I completely understand that not all dog owners/ breeders are bad breeders/dog owners. You have probably done reserch on the breed of dog you want, and take care of it extremely well. However, I've noticed something, in breeds like pugs and Bulldogs. I've noticed that they are highly inbred dogs. (If your wondering how I know this, I've done reserch on the breeds and contacted my local vets. I'm also not planing to get the breeds, I'm a person who loves mutts) And I'm curious, as to why people keep buying these types of dogs. They are prone to many health issues and tend to have a shorter life spand because of it. Now, I'm not saying that all purebreds are like this, I understand that if purebreds can, are incredibly healthy. If breed correctly. What I'm trying to get across, is that, if these kinds of dogs aren't going to get better, should we start to breed them with other dogs? I'm also sorry if I offended you in anyway shape, or form.

Favorite Answer

Because what people want overrides any ethics.

Someone posted several questions here recently about a puppy in a pet shop. Several people informed him he would be supporting a puppy mill, but he bought it anyway and in his next Q pretended it had come from a shelter.

Why? - mainly ignorance. And perhaps not wanting to wait for a well-bred puppy from a good breeder if they don't have to.

However, the rest of your 'question' I can't agree with totally. Especially what you suggest about Pugs and Bulldogs. Good breeders don't 'inbreed'. Many linebreed which is fine and fixes type. The closest form of linebreeding, inbreeding, can be done by the most experienced (although for good reason the UK KC won't accept the registration of litters from mother to son, father to daughter or sibling to sibling). And the breeder of those particular breeds are aware of the health problems that CAN occur - they don't always by a long way - good breeders don't set out to produce mutant cripples.

I can see NO reason, or need, to mix-breed, messing around with breeds bred by people for a specific job, and developed over many years and generations. If you put two breed together, you are more likely to get the worst of both breeds in one puppy. And BYBs who do this kind of breeding don't test and don't care about anything other than income from what they produce = A BAD DOG BREEDER.

I think people just find certain breeds "cute" and they are just ignorant to the facts of puppy mills. Then again, people will believe what they want to believe... It's really upsetting. I have no answer but I totally agree with you. I'd prefer to own a mutt any day over a pure bred!

Mine very certainly didnt both being purebred sheep dogs