How can I predict the weather with clouds?

I know you can just look at the clouds and see what type they are, and I'm trying too, but I'll see in my backyard, I'll examine them, and I feel like there cululonimbus clouds. And that indicates rain or a storm. But then I look in the front and the clouds are different. So how can you tell what weather is coming if there's more then one type of clouds in the sky, I know it's not just the clouds. To indicate severe weather, you gotta look at air pressure, wind and wind direction, whether it's humid or warm or cool. It all depends. But right now, my city is under a severe thunderstorm watch. Some clouds are puffy at the top, and at the bottom darker. In the backyard I see mostly dark skies, burmidk the clouds. I assume there cululonimbus clouds. It looks like all dark skies. So I can't really see the cloud, cux it's all grey and dark. I know it means rain and since we have a STW it means severe weather may come. Right now there is wind, not too strong, but minor winds. Like what does it mean if there is one kind that's white and on the other side of your house it's like grey and dark. Like idk how people do this, weather is really hard to predict. I've always been interested in how it works and stuff, I've been trying to predict today's weather, dark skies and cululonimbus clouds earlier and I think the same right now. It means greater chance of severe weather. But the question is what are all the ways you can predict weather at home by yourself??

• TQ
    Favorite Answer

Two things;

1) You can often predict the short-term weather with clouds by simply looking upwind.

2) Air pressure, wind and wind direction, whether it's humid or warm or cool does not indicate severe weather.

3) There's no such cloud as a 'cululonimbus' cloud.

Otherwise ... meteorologists ask three basic questions when making a forecast.

1) What's going on? (observation)

In other words, what is the present weather?

Is it sunny?

Is it raining?

Is it windy?

Observations include surface conditions ... such as temperature ... wind direction / speed ... dew point ... and barometric pressure and from remote sensing platforms such as rawindsondes ... satellites .. and radars.

2) Why is the current weather occurring? (analysis)

In other words, why is it sunny?

Why is it raining?

Why is it windy?

Meteorologists analyze observations --- first at the large 'big picture' scale ... then progress to smaller and smaller scales -- looking for familiar patterns or signatures ... such as fronts ... clouds ... radar imagery ... and their movements responsible for producing the current weather.

3) How is the current weather likely to change (forecast)

In other words, will sunny conditions continue or change?

How long will the rain continue?

When will the wind subside?

The forecast expresses the meteorologist's expectation of how the present weather will evolve over time on time scales from a few hours up to two weeks. Forecasters use a combination of output from numerical weather prediction models ... statistics ... climatology... and professional experience.

---

Category-shifting Ron the idiot Troll still afoot.

Source(s): Copy'n paste-free Meteorologist.
  • John

The best thing to do is to go out and buy yourself a cloud chart or order one online. Then memorize the names of the different types of clouds. Watch weather forecasters on TV and become familiar with warm fronts, cold fronts, stationery fronts etc. Try to learn as much as you can about air pressure and how it affects the weather. Most bookstores have sections of books on nature and science; there are usually good weather books in these sections also. Hope this helps a little.

Source(s): 50 years in Meteorology

In most of the USA, you look to the west to predict the up-coming weather. A simple but very good guide to using clouds to predict the weather is part of the Golden Guide series.

Yes