Is this a positive rejection letter?

"We were impressed with your candidacy and would like to keep your resume in our active file. As we move forward, you can be sure we will be in touch again if a position becomes available.

Again, I thank you for your interest, hope for an opportunity to work with you in the future, and wish you best of luck in your future endeavors."

I received this after being informed that the position has been filled. Is there hope for the future or are they just being nice?

Favorite Answer

Yes, it is about as "positive" a rejection letter as one might hope to receive. The employer is saying they were caught between two extremely qualified candidates, and were forced to make a choice. They are hoping to keep you in the "queue," in case they can pick you up later.

This letter is formatted to be the same to anyone rejected by them, unless they mention in letter the position you applied for, your strengthes , why they chose another candidate, some career advice

• Michelle4 years agoReport

Thank you for your answer. I actually deleted the first half of the letter for confidential reasons, in which the position personal details were addressed

• Chris

Wow! That's the most tactful rejection letter I can imagine!

they are just being nice.

Write them back and tell them that this was the most professional rejection letter you have ever received, which reaffirms for you that you would truly like to work there, and tell them you are happy they will keep your resume active, etc etc etc.

• tro

I would view it as positive, at least they admin they are holding your application for the future

• Bobbin

Yes.

• Dan B

It's a polite way of saying, "We aren't going to hire you."