What is a good color for a portal?

I'm writing a story, and my character is going to enter a portal. I'd like someones opinion for what the color should be.

• Marli
    Best Answer

Inconspicuous. If the portal has to be hidden, it must be camouflaged.

Not obviously impossible. In "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" Dorothy arrived "over the rainbow" because a tornado whirled her there. We've seen sheds carried high and far by tornados, and some people have survived what killed others. It could have happened, and the reader knows the story is a fantasy.

Intriguing. I've not yet read The Outlander, but I'm intrigued by the idea of a woman entering the past via a sacred spot. Don't the characters enter Narnia through an ordinary wardrobe?

• Ad

The deepest black has deep dark blue and purple in it, which makes the black appear deeper still .... so that, with some bright 'bleeding' at the edges (from black to red and then on to blindingly bright white flecks at the very edge).