Did the Beatles have a major influence on many Guitar players?

Like I am a Guitar player, so I like hearing about this stuff. I know George was good friends with Eric Clapton but we knew Eric was better than George, but I still think Clapton looked up to him.

Sgt. Pepper's came out on a Friday and by Sunday Jimi Hendrix learned it according to Paul McCartney.

But how about Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Edward Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, Slash, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Kirk Hammett, Brian May, Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi, Angus Young, Joe Perry, Zakk Wylde, & Alex Lifeson?

Those are the great Guitar players ever in Hard Rock. Did the Beatles influence them at all, or did John or George's Guitar playing influence them? Now I know the Beatles as a group influenced almost everyone and stuff.

• Vince
    Favorite Answer

George Harrison was a very good guitarist and yes he influenced many artists. A guitarist doesn't have to technical or flashy to be good. George's playing always "served" the song and never overwhelmed it. In my opinion, it's more important to be an expressive guitarist than all flash. John Lennon was a formidable rhythm guitarist. His playing propelled the band and he was also a very forceful player. Paul McCartney is one of the best bass players in Rock history. He was arguably the first rock bassist to bring the bass into the spotlight. He plays very melodically and has a very distinctive style.

• Lv 7
      3 years agoReport

Paul McCartney's bass playing is mainly memorable for being left-handed.

• Danny

Yes, the Beatles had a major influence, as a group, as the fame and fortune exploded. I had been playing for a few years before they showed up, and we all had to grow past three-chord progressions, or not get enough work. It was rare for me to be impressed by the individual guitar skills, though. Only time I really liked the rock licks was in "Paperback Writer". Like Clapton, I was far more influenced by Freddie King. For Brit bands, I greatly preferred the Animals, the Yardbirds, even the few things the Zombies charted.

Actually, my first exposure to the Beach Boys a couple of years earlier had clinched my determination to play rock guitar. One of them had a broken string up front, faking it, while some session dude in the shadows was covering. Meanwhile, a boatload of girls squealed away, just like they did for the Beatles. That was influential.

BTW, kinda nice to hear from you again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmVwo2DxkGg

Youtube thumbnail

• Tony B

Where have you been?

I can't think of any famous "guitarist" (like the ones you mentioned) who were obviously influenced by the playing style of Harrison, Lennon or McCartney. All three were competent guitar players but it was rare you'd listen and go, "Wow, listen to that guitar!" What they played was what suited the track. George Harrison's role in the band was "lead guitarist" but he was a band member whose job was to complement what everyone else was doing.

However, I think an ENORMOUS number of people were influenced in the sense that they actually got guitars and started playing. I guess you could say they inspired rather than influenced guitarists.

Lots of The Beatles guitar parts became "party pieces" though - things that "impressed" - the acoustic accompaniment to Blackbird or Yesterday, the slide part on Something and lot of the lead guitar riffs on their early singles - some of these are NOT easy to play.

The Beatles influence was on music rather than on technical aspects of playing it.

• Mike W

While they weren't the greatest musicians they were good enough. They didn't have the kind of influence on guitar players that the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, etc had.

Yeah, I think Jimmy Page was influenced by them.

• The American ones who saw their appearance on "The Ed Sullivan Show" yes definitely.

The Beatles are the most overrated band ever. None of them were better than average musicians (and calling them average is being kind).

In short, no.

idk probably