Although *Stairway to Heaven* wasn't released in the USA, yet it became the most requested song in the USA... did this song stir our spirit?

"Stairway to Heaven" is a song by the English rock band Led Zeppelin. It was composed by guitarist Jimmy Page and vocalist Robert Plant for the band's fourth unnamed studio album, (see Led Zeppelin IV (1971)). The song was voted #3 in 2000 by VH1 on their list of the 100 Greatest Rock Songs.[1] It was the most requested song on FM radio stations in the United States in the 1970s, despite never having been released as a single there.[2] In November 2007, through download sales promoting Led Zeppelin's Mothership release, "Stairway to Heaven" hit #37 on the UK Singles Chart.[3]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHFxncb1gRY

Youtube thumbnail

~~~~~~~~

Listen with me, and share if you please what images this song raises up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Consider before answering if you will... I am asking because I'd like to see why this song rose in such popularity! It seems to broadcast over the lands... as it touched many people.... whether some loved it; hated it...

Where you are spiritually, will determine how you interpret anything in life. Even if you don't consider yourself spiritual, everything you see, touch, hear, smell, taste, feel, etc. is responded to spiritually, to some degree or another. <<< to me, I wonder just why and how most people received this song personally...

~~~~~~~

Consider the line *in a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings, sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven* Makes me wonder if our thoughts are misgiven purposely, or just because we are unaware...of what's underneath... those thoughts.

• Favorite Answer

This song I have *wondered* with for years, its a Majestic Temple with many rooms, corridors and levels to be explored. Below is one verse. *wink*

"If there's a bustle in your hedgerow,

Don't be alarmed now,

It's just a spring clean for the May queen."

"bustle: excited activity and movement. all the noise and the traffic and the bustle"

"A hedge or hedgerow is a line of closely spaced shrubs and tree species, planted and trained to form a barrier or to mark the boundary of an area."

"The May Queen is also known as The Maiden, the goddess of spring, flower bride, queen of the faeries, and the lady of the flowers. The May Queen is a symbol of the stillness of nature around which everything revolves. She stands for purity, strength and the potential for growth, as the plants grow in May. She is one of many personifications of the energy of the earth."

"May Day, The Exaltation of the Queen of Heaven"

"The title Queen of Heaven is of great antiquity. Not only was it used by the ancient Hebrews who refused to convert to the new masculine cult (Jeremiah 7:18) and of numerous other "goddesses" throughout the world, but we see in iconography from ancient sites that the supreme Deity was a Heavenly Mother."

"If there's a bustle in your hedgerow,

Don't be alarmed now"

My interpretation of this verse is don't be fearful when your energy starts breaking through boundaries, in other words the programing your society has used for control, usually with fear or reward, usually both.

"It's just a spring clean for the May queen."

Your mind is being cleaned and cleared for the arrival and the renewal of the Queen of Heaven into your Heart.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own interpretation so "And as we wind on down the road" Happy journeying! :)

Everyone knows about Stairway to Heaven. Me personally I dont really like the song, its overplayed and over requested. Out of all of the stuff Zeppelin did I cannot grasp why this song is so popular. Also VH1 is biased as hell and they hire people who will say good things about music that they may not even like. They are owned by Viacom which also owns BET and MTV, they are just a bunch of older people who have lost touch with reality. Led Zeppelin has a decent discography with lots of songs to chose from, this one just took off. Also the 70s was a way different time than now. Zeppelin worked in the 70s. Stairway did not move are spirit, it just clicked at the right time. No I am not bashing them or Stairway I just think people dont look at everything they did. They are way more than just one album and one song. They would not have gotten to be one of the most influential bands of all time, without having done stuff to get there. One song and one album sure as hell wont get you that.

led zeppelin 4 (aka the "symbols album") WAS release in the usa, at the same time it was released everywhere else.

i had the album.

aside from its musical qualities, the reason for its popularity is its lyrical ambiguity.

the words are so fuzzy that they mean different things to different people.

if you ask 100 people for the song's meaning, you'll get 100 different answers.

'stairway to heaven' acts like a blank slate --each listener can superimpose onto it whatever his own imagination sees.

some people hear a song about a woman. others hear something about an emotional or romantic experience. others hear magic and mysticism.

Stairway to Heaven was released as a promotional single for LZIV in November of 1971, the same day the album was released. It just barely charted. Many radio stations refused to play it because if its length -- other bands had this problem with longer songs also -- and up to this time, the main LZ hits from this era were straight-ahead rockers like Immigrant Song and Black Dog. So this slow, folky **** was unexpected and off-putting, and it wasn't getting the exposure of the other stuff.

I think the effect of the song is similar to an epic journey, starting out slow and full of promise, leading up to the final confrontation of you and your life choices. Will you try to buy your way out of your situation, or will you try other things?

• I don't know if spirits were stirred but the intro sure is mystical. It builds momentum from there. "Stairway To Heaven' was released on Led Zeppelin 4. In the USA.

Stairway to Heaven certainly sung to the spirit in me. It soared. Uplifted and offered dreams of beauty. The music more so than the words. For me, mostly, the impact of powerful songs is the music - its structured tempo, diversification, instrumentation, orchestration. With Stairway to Heaven from soft folky beginnings to quickened melodic overtones of a poetic storytelling. Leading into the invocation of powerhouse lead guitar riffs that open the doorway of the screaming finale by Robert Plant. Always with the echo of Stairway to Heaven as a background mantra. The whole overall sensation is one that connects and moves the spirit. Taking me from a place of peace into a melodic dreamlike journey that explodes into an expression of passionate desire.

So for me, the music connects with spirit more so than the vocals. If I connect musically then I will come to understand the meaning of the lyrics in my own way over time. What motivates me to do that is the music. The music either lifts my spirit or it doesn't. In the case of Led Zeppelin I was only into what I deemed to be *heavy rock* for a short while. Music diversified extensively and I was inspired elsewhere. But so many places I went there was the mantra of Stairway to Heaven somewhere within the vibes of those times. This was one of the Led Zeppelin songs that moved me very differently to the generalised *heavy rock* that seemed for me to be their trademark.

The song became a legend of those days. A very powerful and positive legend. One of spirit.

The problem was that "Top 40" singles did not play songs more than 3 or 4 minutes without editing of them. FM radio stations were not "commercially" driven , so they could play long songs, that's why STH became famous. The UK single edited the hell out of the song, shortening the intro and losing 2-3 verses in the long run, it went very quickluy to the harder part of the verses with drums and into the guitar solo and ending lyrics...it was about 4:36 long...

• Danny

Yours is a thoughtful analysis, but you may be overdoing it. The boys first kicked the door in with their hard-driving rock, and earned a shot at deeper stuff. As a performing musician, I had a couple of bands that could pull it off, but not for a dance crowd. People can't dance to it. In the zone, it used one of the most powerful guitar chord progressions in the business, your basic Amin G F and return, common to some other good tunes.

Like Jimi's Dylan cover, again after he kicked in the door. Great set-opener...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLV4_xaYynY

Youtube thumbnail

I own a copy of it, and I bought it in the US, so I do not know what you mean by "wasn't released in the USA".

The album has even better songs on it.

I prefer the version by O'jays - Stairway to heaven