Best bet to fix my car? VVT repair. Am I getting ripped off.?

I recently went to a Volvo dealership to fix my car. They want $2,000 for the fix and I think they are trying to suck the money out of me for unneeded repairs. I know some must be done, but whats the cheapest and most practical way in my situation.

Repairs:

Intake cam pulley-$333

Thermostat-$167

Thermostat hose-$30

Belt protector-$100

Plus $700 in labor

They all recommend

4 cam seals-$60

Timing belt kit $245

torque mount $100

Basically I got the codes P0011 and P0016. My car started to sound like a helicopter. so I replaced the sensor. Still had the banking noise, almost like rodknocking. So I took it to the mechanic and the two bolts holding the pulley were loose and broke off, causing the pulley to get messed up. According to them. the bolts needed to be drilled out, and the thread in the pulley VVT unit got messed up too. basically they said i need to replace the thing. I already paid $230 for the diagnostic and them to replace the two bolts, now they tell me the whole unit needs to be replaces. Plus the thermostat broke off a little piece that connects the hose to the coolant, so that needs to be replaced. Should i buy the parts online and go to a mechanic or drop $2,000 here. Is it safe to drive? 2004 Volvo s80 T6 twin turbo 2.9L V6

Camshaft V V T pulley unit thing* Dont know much about cars, clearly.

Favorite Answer

You know why the cam advance actuators and solenoids go bad? Because people don't change their oil and filter every 3,000 miles. It is a huge problem with Nissan, Infiniti, and Toyota too.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • JM

First off, never go to a dealership for repairs unless it is still under warranty or there is a factory recall. Find someone that some you know is friends with. You need someone who is not a nameless tech. It is harder to rip off someone who you talk to about the problem with in detail. If they are willing to talk to you about what they suggest, and listen to you, I think you will be happier. I used to go to a place that would tell you a bare bones fix immediately course of action and a if you want to be thorough plan.

If you take it somewhere else, you'll end up paying for another diagnostic. You're not going to save any money on parts, either. You might as well just grit your teeth and write the check.

That is what happens when you buy a Volvo and Sven has to work on it.