Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 3 years ago

Are these short phrases/sentences correct? (French)?

Sorry if the sentences seem kind of random. We have to create a few sentences and then present them to our French teacher for our oral/speaking mark.

We're still technically being marked on grammar/spelling as well, so I want to confirm with you guys if my sentences are free of spelling and grammar mistakes. c:

Vous devez parler le directeur de l'entreprise.

(You must speak to the manager/owner of the establishment or fast-food place).

Vous pouvez demander qu'ils veulent.

(You can ask them what they want)

Venez à un casse-croûte avec moi.

(Come to a fast food restaurant with me)/

Finissez le projet!

(Finish the project!)

Mon casse-croûte préféré est (insert my favourite fast food place), parce que j’aime des plats (insert whatever kinds of food I like to eat).

Best Answer

😉 Bonjour, Hello

→ Vous devez parler AU directeur de l'entreprise.

' Au ' is the combination of: à le. It is used for say: ' to the ' or: ' at the ' in French. You need to use: ' au ' before a masculine word, example: '' Je vais dire quelque chose au patron '' / I'm going to say something to the boss.

→ Vous pouvez LEUR demander CE qu'ils veulent.

(You can ask them what they want)

Leur is an possessive adjective, they are used used in place of articles to indicate to whom or to what something belongs. French possessive adjectives are used similarly to English possessive adjectives, but there are some differences in form. It's like ' their ' in English.

' Ce ' is a demonstrative adjective in this phrase. Like are: this, that, these, those in English. They are words used in place of articles to indicate a specific noun. In French, they need to agree in gender and number with the noun they modify: Ce chien est laid / This dog is ugly. The feminine is 'cette '.

Example: Je connais cette fille / I know this girl.

Ce becomes ' cet ' in front of a masculine noun that begins with a vowel or mute h. Example:

Cet homme / This man.

Cet elegant costume / This elegant costume.

→ Venez AU casse-croûte* avec moi.

' Au ' is the combination of: à le. It is used for say: ' to the ' or: ' at the ' in French. You need to use: ' au ' before a masculine word, example: Je vais au supermarché ( I'm going to the supermarket ).

→ Finissez le projet !

(Finish the project!)

~~ Have a nice day ~~

* In reality in France, ' casse-croûte refers to something we can eat fast, like for example: a sandwich, a dish we bring from the home at work, etc... Short, ' un casse-croûte ' is food to eat fast.

For say a fast food, we use the same than in English, or: a snack, or even in a pub, a bar, a café, seeing that they prepare sandwiches, etc...

For example we would say: '' Venez au pub manger un casse-croûte avec moi '' / Come to a pub, eat a sandwich with me.

As a native French, I never said or heard someone say: '' Venez au casse-croûte manger avec moi ''. Unless the owner(s) decided to make this word to be the name of the pub of course, in this case it has capitals.