Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 4 years ago

im 12. i love to dance and i wanna be a dancer so bad. Will i be to late?! I really wanna start but i dont wanna get stuck with 4 year olds.?

Favorite Answer

You may be able to find a beginner class with some students your age. Some might be a year or two younger. Beginners in dance start serious study at ages 7-10 usually not 4. There are teen beginner ballet classes but you might be considered too young for that.

Misty Copeland Principal dancer for American Ballet Theatre took her first ballet class at age 13.

If you want it badly enough you will be fine working with students a little younger. Just because you start in that class doesn't mean you will be there forever. You have to start in a beginner class whatever the age is. Ballet is where you need to start. Any school that groups solely by age not ability or allows students to take other genre without ballet first ( with the exception of tap and possibly hip hop) is not going to be a school that offers good training.

Source(s): My daughter is a professional concert contemporary dancer & choreographer. Ballet academy trained. Dance grad of LaGuardia Arts high school (the FAME school.) Graham & Horton modern trained. Juilliard SI. BFA in dance from NYU Tisch. Currently choreographing major music videos and performing in a world renown concert contemporary company. I worked for NYCB (New York City Ballet.)

you are never to late to start dance!! Take Haley Pham for example (she's a well know youtuber in the dance community, I suggest you look her up), she only started dancing when she was 11 years old and she's 15 now and she is one of the best dancers I know (in my opinion) and I look up to her .

As for getting stuck with 4 year olds I can almost certainly guarantee that you won't be. depending on which dance school you go to they should place you in a class based on you AGE and skill level. I'm from Australia so unless you live somewhere else and they run things a little differently, sorry.

But definitely go out and try dancer, and who knows you might just become a famous dancer one day.

If you're talking about ballet (and you need ballet first no matter what kind of dance you want to specialize in) real classes don't begin until age seven or eight. If that is too young for you you don't "wanna" enough.

• Gary B

You ALL start at the beginning, whethef you are 4 or 12.

Hopefully, you will learn faster and outgrow the 4 year olds quicker

Just start