Why isn't civil marriage legal in israel?

I'm an Israeli Arab and I want civil marriage to be legal in my country so i can marry my jewish girlfriend.

I dont understand why the Israeli government is so opposed to Jews and Arab intermarrying with each other in israel.

can someone explain this to me?

also are you guys racist?

Best Answer

Because Israel wants to preserve Judaism and they fear that where their numbers are so small that if they allow intermarriage that eventually Judaism will cease to exist.

It's not illegal, it's just not recognized...there's a difference. You can go to Cyprus and get married like all the others in Israel. Israel does recognize interfaith marriages from other countries. Sure it's a hassle but it's the way it is because it's a democracy and that's what the people want. Or more accurately this is what the people they elected want.

They're actually still using the Ottoman laws that the Jews of Israel lived under when they purchased land and started moving into Israel in greater numbers. The people feel the law needs changed but just like us, petty party politics and squabbling prevent anything from being done.

70% of Israelis don't approve the law but these are the officials they elected.

You can marry anyone you want in Israel if they are 1) the opposite sex

and 2) of legal age.

• Daddio

It might be for all we know. Ask the Israeli govt

You can never trust Jews.