Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 3 years ago

In the NFL, can a team win in sudden-death overtime with a field goal, or does it have to be a touchdown?

Favorite Answer

If the team receiving the ball first scores a TD, the game is over. If New England had kicked a FG on their 1st possession in OT, ATL would have had a chance to score.

If New England hadn't scored, Atlanta could have won by kicking a field goal.

With a field goal, the other team get an opportunity to have the ball, but if each team has had a chance on offense, a field goal wins the game. A touchdown is necessary for the first team to get the ball to win right away in overtime.

• User
      3 years agoReport

I see that I am getting voted down, but I say my answer is correct. The question is about sudden death overtime, which is NOT how overtime begins. Overtime goes into sudden death overtime if the first drive comes up empty, or if it comes up with a fg and the other team then gets a fg.

Td

• User

In sudden death any score ends the game.

Edit: To be clear, on the opening drive you need a touchdown to end the game. They are not in sudden-death overtime yet. Just regular overtime. It enters sudden death if the first team's drive comes up empty, or both teams score a fg on their first drive.